KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Ive been recently having some minor electrical issues with my bike. Ive narrowed it down to the Reg/rec, for now.
When idling the bike charges at 13.5 volts. Under load it will jump up to 14.5 Volts - 14.8volts (max)
Looking for any input on the situation or if anyone has the technical data for the charing system that would be great.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Those figures look ok. Cant really go any higher than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those figures look ok. Cant really go any higher than that.
Thanks dude.
My bike was cutting out for 1/2 a second when im riding. Then the dash would reset. I cleaned the block connectors and vaselined them and its been good . Now, sometimes, the speed reads, 19 then 27 then 24, random speed. Then it resets. Im going to check the speed sensor and make sure the magnet is clean. Other than that i might just start replacing ignition parts.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Dash resetting etc sounds like an iffy connector or a damaged wire somewhere not and ignition problem. These issues are pretty hard to find but I'd start by stripping all the bodywork tank etc off and going through all the wiring loom and connectors very carefully. Sometimes modern dashes can go bad inside too and a lot hold the immobiliser etc so could cut out ignition.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Ref the charge rate. I'd expect 12.5 to 12.75 at idle and up to 14 with main beam on but unless you are using a calibrated multimeter the voltages are in ballpark - it's not under charging anyway.

·
Registered
447 Posts
anything over below 12.5V and over 15Vdc is dubious, unless its stated in the manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for you replies. Greatly appreciated.
The battery charges at around 13- 13.5 at idle and 14.5 with load.
Since cleaning the block connectors the bike hasn't cut out on me again.
Today on the way home the dash did cut out on me again and the bike ran fine.
Im going to repace the speed sensor, ignition coil and reg/rec. One at a time to see if the problem persists. The battery has always charged at that rate and I haven't had problems before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts