KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am very new to this thread and the KTM Family, I bought this bike second hand a few weeks ago.. I have been riding it everyday and everything has been going smooth, until one day the bike kept stalling when I get to a traffic light.. It has no problem starting up again, but then still stalls every now and again.. Then yesterday after my ride gettting home I the motor backfired and I heard a loud Pop sound.. I could feel the pop air coming from the left side of the motor onto my leg. The bike then stalled.. I then started it up again with no problems at all, placed it into gear and it was fine... But this morning when I woke up I could see one small oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine.. So I have zero skills in motorcycle repairs, I just thought I would reach out on here and ask what you guys might think is the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
hi,
popping/banging could be air leak somewhere in the exhaust, especially if you can feel it past your leg.
oil leak can be traced in a simple way: completely dry the engine (degreaser, cloth, air spray etc). go for a ride and when you come back throw some talk powder (or baby powder) against the engine.
where the powder sticks is where you have fluid (oil in your case).

its not excessive chain grease that is oozing from the front sprocket? or an oil filter cap not properly fitted?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,
popping/banging could be air leak somewhere in the exhaust, especially if you can feel it past your leg.
oil leak can be traced in a simple way: completely dry the engine (degreaser, cloth, air spray etc). go for a ride and when you come back throw some talk powder (or baby powder) against the engine.
where the powder sticks is where you have fluid (oil in your case).

its not excessive chain grease that is oozing from the front sprocket? or an oil filter cap not properly fitted?
Thank you so much man! I think there might be quite a few issues to the bike to be honest, this morning it wont even start and the FI light is flashing.. And the manual says I should take it to KTM... But im going to troubleshoot more today! Ill reply here aswell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts