KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys I am pulling my hair out with the pilot jetting.
it's currently got a 35 pilot jet but it's not crisp on low throttle so I tried a 38 but that is a bit worse. the set up when I bought it is still the same 35 pilot 165 main air screw 1 full turn from fully seated.
can somebody help please as its very annoying when I have to drive on road sections and it's not crisp at 30 mph and under

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
guys I am pulling my hair out with the pilot jetting.
it's currently got a 35 pilot jet but it's not crisp on low throttle so I tried a 38 but that is a bit worse. the set up when I bought it is still the same 35 pilot 165 main air screw 1 full turn from fully seated.
can somebody help please as its very annoying when I have to drive on road sections and it's not crisp at 30 mph and under
edit, it's a 2008 ktm 300 exc

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
There should be a standard jetting table in the owners manual. Check your settings against standard and work from there.

Have you checked the reed valve? The petals can get ragged at the edges or go out of shape so they don't seal properly. If that's the case, jetting will always be sketchy.

Is the carb clean inside with clear airways and good seals on the adjuster screws?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be a standard jetting table in the owners manual. Check your settings against standard and work from there.

Have you checked the reed valve? The petals can get ragged at the edges or go out of shape so they don't seal properly. If that's the case, jetting will always be sketchy.

Is the carb clean inside with clear airways and good seals on the adjuster screws?
reeds are in very good condition and carb inside is nice and clean no dirt and all jets are clear and clean

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
thanks I will have a look tomorrow what clip the needle is on.
It’s not the clip! If it’s bad at cruising/throttle slightly open it will be needle diameter. Clips affecting around half throttle. Diameter just as you open it. Very easy to overlook and then say bikes horrible. All 2t can cruise on the road but you have to nail each jetting region first. It’ll never be like a 4t though. Only a 4t can be like a 4t.

·
Registered
854 Posts
When you checked the reeds, did you check to make sure all the petals are shut tightly on to the block? Hold it up to a light, and look for light shining through any gaps, if there are any, no amount of messing with the jetting is going to get it running properly low down and cruising.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s not the clip! If it’s bad at cruising/throttle slightly open it will be needle diameter. Clips affecting around half throttle. Diameter just as you open it. Very easy to overlook and then say bikes horrible. All 2t can cruise on the road but you have to nail each jetting region first. It’ll never be like a 4t though. Only a 4t can be like a 4t.
thanks for advise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you checked the reeds, did you check to make sure all the petals are shut tightly on to the block? Hold it up to a light, and look for light shining through any gaps, if there are any, no amount of messing with the jetting is going to get it running properly low down and cruising.
the reeds are nice and tight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts