KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive just purchased a 2008 sxf 450 and want to register it for the road, i cant seem to find the frame number! i have stripped back the paint on the steering column with now joy!! is there anywhere else this could be!

thank you for your time

Matt
Nottingham uk

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Matt if it not there then it's either rubbed off or removed before you bought it at some point.

If you give a friendly ktm dealer the engine number and talk nicely he will be able to give you the vin that matches the engine number

·
Registered
574 Posts
just to hijack this thread: i had one of my bikes powder coated by a fuckwit a couple of years ago. The frame number is only JUST visible now... he covered it even though I asked him not to, then he polished off the powder coating so it was visible again and now after all that it's hardly visible at all on the bare metal. What can I do to remedy this? Stamp it back on? I've got the V5 and the bike still has the original engine and the VIN number is still there even though it's extremely faint. :frown:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Dont touch it! Better feint than tampered with.

Matt, KTM numbers are always on the headstock, end of. As said powder coating can make it hard to make out. Sitting on the bike it is located about two oclock.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
just to hijack this thread: i had one of my bikes powder coated by a fuckwit a couple of years ago. The frame number is only JUST visible now... he covered it even though I asked him not to, then he polished off the powder coating so it was visible again and now after all that it's hardly visible at all on the bare metal. What can I do to remedy this? Stamp it back on? I've got the V5 and the bike still has the original engine and the VIN number is still there even though it's extremely faint. :frown:
Yip..got the tee shirt and the mug.
I just painted over it after having a go at stamping it on with a very fine center punch,which didn't really work.

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
KTM stamp the paint, not the frame...... which is piss poor really :(

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yip..got the tee shirt and the mug.
I just painted over it after having a go at stamping it on with a very fine center punch,which didn't really work.
almost identical situation to me. total shit isn't it!??! KTM obviously don't expect their bikes to last beyond the 5 or 6 years that a typical paint job still looks acceptable for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts