KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
250 exc-f 2009, The bogging and stalling is getting on my [email protected] now, i have fitted a full DEP S7 with a boost header pipe and it seems to have sorted some of the bogging, but its really a pain in tight woods and descents as it just keeps on stalling and bogging.

I know some of you will just say ride around it but its such a great bike and i want to get this sorted, i read on here somewhere that theres a dyno firm called PDQ that supply jetting kits and dyno time, do you think it will be worth the effort and money.

Any thoughts and help much appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wheres it bogging, at the bottom end, on snap acceleration?

Did you have it rejetted after the pipe was put on, in thoery the pipe would probably make it worse not better ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bogging is usually in slow tight sections @ the bottom end and when trying to accelerate out of a tight turn, the stalling is always decending down a step hill with no throttle, the pipe actually makes it a little better, and no i havent had it rejetted, i wa stold by DEP that it didnt need doing, the bike is well looked after, air filter after every time out, new plug every couple of races, oil change every ten hours etc.., can i just move the needles myself through trial and error or should i seek a proper dyno. cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
It shouldn't stall, thats most likely pilot jet/screw you can adjust yourself as much as you want too, i'd try richening up the bottom end and maybe the o ring mod would help too.

Maby the idle speed needs to go up a little aswell

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive tried the idle speed, i will try the pilot screw, how do i richen up the bottom end and whats the o ring mod, sorry for being such a newbie,

·
Registered
109 Posts
The o ring mod changes the timing on the accelerator pump, some of the 250's have an issue with bogging on snap accel and the o ring mod pretty much cures it, do a search, it's been talked about loads ;)

The pilot screw will allow you to richen the bottom end, make small adjustments and then ride, if you have to turn it more than a coupole of times to get it running nicely you'll probably need to go up a jet size and start again, it's a bit fiddly but it's easy enough to do, just takes time to keep adjusting and doing runs etc

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers matey, IL give it a go and search for the o ring mod as well, be nice to get it going proper,i"ll let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
cheers matey, IL give it a go and search for the o ring mod as well, be nice to get it going proper,i"ll let you know how i get on.
I have the O'ring fitted but I am thinking about removing it. I spoke to a mechanic of a very well known rider a while back who really knows KTM's and he said to fit the green spring from the SXF to cure the problem; it also saves on fuel. I will be trying it with a 50 leak jet and will let you know how I get on when I have re-built my bike.

Cheers Nick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the O'ring fitted but I am thinking about removing it. I spoke to a mechanic of a very well known rider a while back who really knows KTM's and he said to fit the green spring from the SXF to cure the problem; it also saves on fuel. I will be trying it with a 50 leak jet and will let you know how I get on when I have re-built my bike.

Cheers Nick.
Your thinking 2 stoke ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your thinking 2 stoke ;)
I hope not or Ive been riding my bike without pre-mixing for the last 3 years and checking the valve clearances on non existing valves if it was a 2-stroke lol.

The accelerator pump on the SXF has a stronger spring and applies more pressure than the EXC-F one. It removes the need to couple the cam with a rubber O'ring.

cheers Nick.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The 2011 250 exc f has been tweaked to try and cure this common problem! wonder if the parts can be retro fitted to older bikes????

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting about the sxf spring, i"ll ask about and see if i can get one, going to muck about with it on sunday @ enduroland, you never know i might get the thing sorted.
Keep the advice comming as im determined to the thing fixed. cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just been to KTM hemel and and a good chat about this problem, they suggested a larger jet size the ones they use when fitting an akro, so i ordered some and will see what happens, i rode the Tring Enduroland practice day and the bike stalled so many time and bogged all the way round it was hard work.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Just been to KTM hemel and and a good chat about this problem, they suggested a larger jet size the ones they use when fitting an akro, so i ordered some and will see what happens, i rode the Tring Enduroland practice day and the bike stalled so many time and bogged all the way round it was hard work.

stop fiddling and book it in on a proper dyno, mx zone in melksham did mine a while back and got it spot on. only cost about £65

·
Registered
181 Posts
I fitted an Akro and had the shop do the carb. All they did was move the main needle up on click (not sure what that is) and then just adjust the fuel air mixture screw. In fact I had them fit the remote adjuster while they were doing it.
All I can say is the bike pulls all through the rev range with no bogging at all. I am sure this would be an easy fix for all the experienced boys.
My bike goes really well with little adjustment needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts