KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2009 ktm 200 exc has a boyeson rad valve , fmf gnarly and power core 2 silencer . It did have the standard jetting 162 main , nozh needle on no 2 clip . With this set up , when I open the throttle quick it picks up then bogs , like I've got my foot on the brake , then it takes off . Any suggestions for jetting . A lot of threads suggest a honda or suzuki needle , so which one and why . Any suggestions would be of much help . Thanks

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
That spec sounds horrible.
Try this:

200 jet spec

Suzuki NEDW, clip4, 38-42 pilot & 172 jet winter.

Suzuki NECW, clip3, 38-40 & 165 jet summer (clip4 for torque at mid throttle). Both available from Frank MX on eBay.

I used a leanish pilot so it always idled well but used a narrower diameter to give the power back after opening the throttle.

try altering the pv adjuster too. Get the pv setting to match your jetting and it’ll run clean and pull like a beast.

I can fully recommend sending your cylinder head to Brokenlegs for his head mod. It really helps you to use the richest setting you can.

I also have an hard parts SXS KTM front pipe for sale (Like a fatty) and q stealth silencer for a 200. Great combo. It was on my 2016 if that helps diagnose if it’ll fit the 2009.

Honda needle now obsolete unless you can find a secondhand one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated , thanks . Ive ordered a suzuki necj jet rather than the next leaner nozi ktm needle cos the original is crap and lots say the nozi is just as rubbish . My pv looks like its on its hardest setting , albeit with the yellow spring . I'll see how this goes , otherwise I'll give your setting a try .
Happy riding bro , many thanks

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Yellow spring? The 200 doesn’t use coloured springs.....it just has the fun dial under the 30mm cap and the pv arm viewing window on the left of the motor to see where the lines are located.

NECJ will work. Great trail riding needle but you might find it underpowered compared to richer needles. All KTM needles get onto the needle taper quickly. This can mean rich burble at small openings. The Suzuki needle range has a longer straight section so stays cleaner at 1/8th throttle.

Jersey Devil has a monster thread on the 200 jetting over on KTM talk. Well worth a read. It’s all explained there very well with loads of variations too.

Reactions: Ship and Miner

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right ok , I've had a look under that pv cap on the side of the engine and the tension is wound off a fair bit . The window on the side is showing the pv to be high up . So (I think) thats the hardest hitting setting . Thought there may be a coloured spring in tensioner side there somewhere, my bad .
This bike is very sharp off the bottom , pulls nice until around 6k rpm appx and then hits an almighty flat spot with wot and then passes and revs hard .
I've heard of a pipe and boyeson rad valve richening it out , and it seems the case . I've put the nozh needle on no 1 clip and it got better , but far from great so I'm swaying toward a suzuki necj needle instead of the nozi . I've never jetted a bike before , never really needed to . But this is an almighty flat spot . Fun trying though I must admit .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shall have a good look at jersey devils post on it all , some people are soooo clued up . I'm not one of them ! But thanks

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
h and j needle diameters are super lean for a 200. Clip 1 is then making it even leaner. Have you tried clips 3, 4 &5?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes , tried the 5th clip and I've tried a 168 main just to see if its a lean or rich bog , thought it'd be a safe way to test it . The bike ran terrible with both these options , so I guessed it needed leaning out . Got a 160 main in there now but the culprit seems to be the needle . If I can get rid of the step in the power , I think I'll do a plug chop to make sure where I really am with the main .
As lean as these settings sound , it really does shift , except for the bog which is only really noticeable in 5th and 6th gears

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other thing , if I rol the throttle on gently , it doesn't bog . If I open it suddenly , it bogs .

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
That’s lean. Very lean. You’re asking for what isn’t there. Motor can’t run on air alone so it momentarily shuts down if it’s a fast twist of the throttle. Slowly it can keep up. Just.

Does it sound very zingy/feel edgy/fragile?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When using part to half throttle, the bike feels sharp . I wouldn't say zingy . Feels pretty strong . At wot it pulls well initially but just before the power is really meant to kick in , its like my foot is on the brake in the upper gears , Then it takes off . Its not spluttering like being rich , its just kinda dead feeling .
Shall i try going to clip no 3 for a bit more fuel rather no 5 and having way too much ?
Its just a bit of a balls ache getting at the needle cos the stop cock is in the way so the tank needs to come off every time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done a little research on boyeson rad valves and it says most bikes need leaner jets when they are used due to the extra vacuum they create .
Wonder if this is what I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
They came stock in 2016 with the Boyensen. The spec I suggested was with using one. I still think your lean in the diameter region and clip.

Double check things like reeds before spending hours on jetting and make sure they aren’t worn/damaged.

You should be able to get the needle out by just loosening the clamps. Rotate the carb to the right and then using a long adapter undo the carb cap. Slide hands in/around the pipe/frame and slide the slide out. The pilot and main is then also accessible on the left of the bike. You shouldn’t need to remove anything off the bike. A needle/clip change should be 2 mins to change once you’ve mastered getting it out and back in.

Are you in wales?

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes checked reeds for a tight seal by holding up to the light etc , all seems good on that front .
As you say pilot and main is a cinch to access , but haven't cracked the removal of the slide/needle by rotating it yet . Seems a lot is in the way , but I'll give it another shot .
Every time I've gone richer , she coughs and splutters bad. Perhaps I need to be more subtle with my jetting increments . But a 168 main was incredibly rich .
Yes I'm from wales

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I’m wales. Newport area. I travel about a bit too so might be near you at some point. Happy to take a look.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I’m wales. Newport area. I travel about a bit too so might be near you at some point. Happy to take a look.
Don’t suppose you know my mate from work Steve Kenny? He’s from Newport, knows everyone. Big GLC fan.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
I don’t know Steve. I’m guessing he rides local?

GLC are bigger than The Eagles here.

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
No he’s not into dirt bikes but we went to Oman and bumped into a guy in the lift on one of the sites... oh hey... you’re such and such from that power station... don’t think there’s an ex-CEGB / National Power guy he doesn’t know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts