KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to this forum and to KTM's, yesterday I purchased a brand new 2009 EXC 125, got I registered on a 60 plate :) got it on the road today but the bike doesn't want to go any faster than 40mph & it takes forever to get there, the shop I got it from think it's to do with the exhaust, they said there should have been a spare unrestricted exhaust but they couldn't find it :( so they have ordered me a dp exhaust free of charge :) do you think the exhaust would be the reason the bike only go's 40mph or is there more to it than that?

Also when I pull the throttle all the way back the bike trys to die, anyone know why it would do that?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
sounds like it could be a problem with the powervalve as opposed to the exhaust as the standard exc125 should not be restricted by the exhaust. possibly if the bike has had a very easy life (just pottering about at low rpm) it might just need cleaning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum,we have a 2008 125 exc and it goes like a rocket for a 125,i may be wrong but i am sure that they do come with a restricted exhaust and i think if the exhaust/expansion chamber is changed your bike will also be a lot faster.I would not touch the power valve at the moment untill you have run the bike in and the jetting on the carbureta is set up.I may be wrong, but there is a person on this forum called Kev who knows all about KTM's he will give you the answers and advice you are looking for.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have a 09 400exc and if i go in to top gear and wind it right back it too tries to die unless im really going some, think your issue sounds more carb related than exhaust. is the powervalve kicking in?.

happy riding

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Where did you get it from? It has not been pdi'd correctly imho. cat in exhaust and jetting is wrong for a start.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi

I had the same bike as you, and standard it came with 2 different pipes. 1 with catalytic converter in it, the other un-restricted. If you are running the cat version, that could be the problem.

I did try a different pipe at one point (sxs) and it was horrible. I ended up putting the standard one on. So if I was you I would insist on a standard pipe.

Also is the dep pipe plain steel (rusts in 2 mins) or zinc plated?

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

I had the same bike as you, and standard it came with 2 different pipes. 1 with catalytic converter in it, the other un-restricted. If you are running the cat version, that could be the problem.

I did try a different pipe at one point (sxs) and it was horrible. I ended up putting the standard one on. So if I was you I would insist on a standard pipe.

Also is the dep pipe plain steel (rusts in 2 mins) or zinc plated?

Alex
Thank you for all the replys everyone!!

The shop I got the bike from have lost the unrestricted standard pipe so they have got me a dep pipe (zinc plated) that they are gonna fit tomorrow, and if it runs like shit with that on I'm gonna get the unrestricted standard pipe for it, and if it still runs like crap with that on then the shop are gonna have to find the problem, I told them I'm not gonna pay a penny for them to get it running properly!!!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The 2/ come jetted to pass emmissions not ride, probably have a manual choke fitted too which needs junking along with the mirrors,indicators,no.plate hanger,etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I now have the dep exhaust on the bike and it now gos like a rocket, i got a sprocket kit with the bike aswell that are smaller than the sprockets i have ON the bike should i put them on?

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
both sprockets are smaller? a more off road bias will have a smaller front and a larger rear. and the opposite way around for on road. personally if it feels good now, stick with it for a while... good work getting the bike flying!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts