KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Picked up a KTM 250 EXC-F with a vector 280 kit up at the weekend, went out Sunday to a local track to get some practice ran fine the first two hours (some in the enduro section, and a few laps on track) we then left for the end of the session.

Came to start the bike for the next session and was a pig to start, got it running I did one corner and it bogged and died, couldn't restart and had to push it off.

It's getting fuel, and got compression but no spark..

I checked coil last night, and cap and lead they check out, disconnected kill switch still no spark..

I'm new to bikes and more so four stroke, and tips on the best place to looks next my mate's told me to check the supply to the coil?

Any help is appreciated cheers!

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my experience this is usually the plug cap, can be intermittent or permanent. Worth a shot at £7 off
EGAY.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Budda,

Cheers for that but tried my mates CDI, Coil and plug cap no spark..

So next I tested the stator against the manual specs (I checked the other day, but didn't know what readings I should be getting) turned out they didn't fit the manual, so housing off to reveal a smashed stator... Flywheel bolts had come loose and shot blasted the internals so new stator & new flywheel time I think..

Can't get the image to work :wanker:

Cheers for the suggestion!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I've never changed a stator but as a suggestion take the cover off and if it's clean then save your money for the moment. I would check the bikes earthed (frame and batt) and the kill switch isn't shorting. If the bikes spinning the starter it's highly probable you'll be looking at a wiring loom issue and get a multi meter to see what's coming out from the stator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures always help, just about got there...

Bolts smashed stator up and damaged soldered joints.. I don't fancy carrying 2 Stroke around with me for filling up when I'm out (One of lads has a 250 2T)

No point trying to repair, done a search and found 3 people on here that it's also happened too, some have had the bolts shear and some have had the bolts work loose (like mine).

·
Registered
548 Posts
It happened to me last year. Are you sure you need a new flywheel? The thin tin plate stuff on the inside of my flywheel was a bit dented and marked, but they're not cheap, so I gambled and just changed the stator. Actually instead of getting just a stator I got a trail tech stator with a matching regulator. When I reassembled everything I used some good strong lock tight and fingers crossed it's been fine since. Although everytime I take the ignition cover off I do check them (only visually so as not to break the lock tight).

·
Premium Member
31,537 Posts
Those allen screws hold the starter freewheel on. They need to be torqued to the correct spec and red loctite used. If you overtighten them they will break. If you dont loctite them they will come loose. If you dont clean the threads out the freewheel with a tap and the screws and holes with brake cleaner the loctite wont work properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts