KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
In the final stages of deciding on a new bike (likely demo model)... Sold my 1150 GS, which I loved for stability and sheer confidence factor in the corners. As I commuted with it I found the ABS useful in bad weather, stupid traffic, and my own occasional dumb mistakes. Sold it for a bit more excitement, prefer a stronger engine, and less weight. It also held it's value extremely well and I sold it for 150 GBP less than I bought it after 2.5 years.

Still riding my Aprilia Futura, great engine, but I lack sure footed confidence in the corners esp. hairpins (I live in Switzerland), and don't like the position (sport bike). I often end up riding too fast / aggressive and eventually the wrists get sore (yes, trying to keep the stomach tight and weight off the bars).

In the end I just prefer the 'Trailie/Supermoto ' position (first bike was the KLR650).

Choices:

I have removed the Ducati Multistrada on the grounds of price and too much tech to go wrong (that I would have no chance of fixing). Maybe give them 2-3 yrs for the relative price to drop (pick up used) and the bugs to be ironed out.

Have tested the SMT 3 times and love it. Only critique is: 1. looks ; and 2. snatchy throttle, and 3. no ABS (rumoured to be in 2011 model?). The looks I can live with, but snatchy throttle I find annoying (remember those hairpins?). ABS is nice esp. for commuting.

So I decided to try the Triumph Tiger this week to compare to the SMT. 30 min. test ride only but I find it to have an excellent engine, more torque, much less snatchiness, matter of opinion but I like the looks. Suspension and braking components are inferior to the KTM, but it has ABS.

Any riders out there who have owned/ridden both? Esp. longer term...

I'm worried esp. about the brakes (Nissin vs Brembo) and suspension (Showa vs. WP) getting on my nerves as inferior to the SMT. I think the SMT will 'wear' much less quickly than the SMT.

Blast away...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If you buy the tiger you'll have to spend about £800 on a quality rear shock as the stock one is total shit and can go off with in the first 1000 miles . It's a well known problem with them .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have people found the fix for the snatchy throttle? I've seen the posts on changing sprocket to 16T, some have tried the different cam profiles, some tried different exhaust eg. Akra...but there doesn't appear to be a definite consensus.

It also seems that different bikes...according to set up...react differently. I'm guessing this is the play in the throttle grip itself...found this myself in testing the SMT at two different dealers.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If you buy the tiger you'll have to spend about £800 on a quality rear shock as the stock one is total shit and can go off with in the first 1000 miles . It's a well known problem with them .
Pal of mine had one, I had more than enough opportunity to study the rear shock,
in fact I hardly ever saw anything BUT the Tiger's rear view :frown:
mostly departing the bends just as I was entering.

Most impressive

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all - you are so lucky living in Switzerland. I took the 990SM through there a couple of years ago and found the loop - Susten Pass, Furka Pass and Grimsel Pass the best days riding of my life and the 990SM was the perfect too for the job.
Over the week I developed the technique for doing the hairpins to avoid the snatchiness around 30mph. Basically square the corner off and push the bike to turn (like in motocross), you are on the power much faster and will embarrass some of those sports bike riders.
Also I have since fitted Akro's. When I took the baffles out this made a signifiant difference and the snatchiness is much reduced.
I did try the Tiger too before I bought the 990SM - quality wasn't as good but the killer for me was that it didn't feel as sure footed as the KTM nor did it seem to have the punch out of the corner. I recently since replaced the Pirelli Syncs with Michelin CT2s and the bike seems to be even better.
ca't wait to get back to the Alps!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely go for the KTM , and remove the original exhausts. I have Akras and love em, but v expensive. noticeable increase in shove with them . I have still to try the 16T sprocket.
Out with a few mates over weekend and embarrassed a few guys . in Particular a GSXR 750. Over patchy surfaces and uneven terrain you will murder everything else. I like the way KTM build their road bikes to make em feel like their off road bikes.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
less torque ? cant be by much if any. 16T front sprocket would sort that.

"Only critique is: 1. looks ; and 2. snatchy throttle, and 3. no ABS"

sounds like you need a 950 then :) as for the brakes - emergency braking in the wet is the only time i can imagine ABS stopping you quicker than the KTM's Brembo set up...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think KTM have addressed the snatchy throttle with a remap on new bikes; I got mine new last month no probs with snatchy throttle but I'm used to twins so perhaps it's just me. What pissed me off is I asked if they were doing a SMT model with luggage etc as it was on KTM's site; the local dealer said they talked to KTM and it was only a europe, (not UK model), low and behold it's on offer a month later...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KTMicks:
Case in point...(yes lucky) - I did the Nufenen, Susten, Grimsel, Furka on the 7th of August with my Aprilia Futura. The snatchy throttle was very annoying in the hairpins. Now I am in the habit of feathering the clutck in second in hairpins and this helps, but I still consider it a 'ride-a-around' the problem.

bitchtits:
This is my problem with fuel injected bikes these days...you buy a new/demo bike and the damn thing doesn't work well! I understand changing sprockets, chains, tires, exhaust for the fun of it and when the bike ages...but it's annoying that the manufacturer can't get it right to start with. Blame the damn Euro reg's on noise emissions?

Superbadass:
The torque curve of the Triumph is very flat. It has (a little) more torque than the SMT until the very end of the peak, and I found it a bit smoother in application (eg. in the corners).

Cattledog:
It's like being in a company these days about to be bought out. The employees are the last to know. Most dealers know less about the specific bike than a well educated customer, because they have to know multiple models.

Maybe the 950 SM is the solution...tried a test ride but it vibrates and there is almost too much engine braking eg. go / no go. Maybe I'll give it another test ride this week...

·
Registered
5 Posts
kanhulk13
The Akra's are the best "investment" I made. Much lighter (bike more flickable with a lower centre of gravity); about 14bhp more, sounds fantatic (not enough tunnels over here to appreciate this); and look great.
As I said with the baffles out the snatchiness is almost gone.
Other "investments" are windscreen, Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs (big improvement over the OEM Syncs) and a tail tidy from Welcome to R&G Racing | Setting the standard in bolt-on motorcycle accessories and Crash Protectors

having made the choice of the 990SM over the Tiger, I am obviously biased. I did like the Tiger and it would be much more comfortable over a longer distance and on fast roads. But on the twisty stuff, it doesn't come close to the KTM.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
see my 950's dyno run here (akra full evo system with larger jets)

950 SMR Dyno Run | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ive got used to the engine braking now and find it really useful once you do, escp in the wet. you do a LOT less braking when you use it to your advantage. I suppose it is quite on-off power delivery, again something ive got used to and dont find a problem (I also ride a hornet 600 so do go between in-line 4 and twin)

Its never going to be as boring, i mean smooth as the tractor, i mean beamer, but then thats not usually what people are looking for when buying a KTM:cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi KTMickS.
Did you get your Bike Dyno'd. Just interested to know how much more power i have liberated buy using Akras and Y piece. ?
Does your tail tidy fit with the Akras. ?
Any pics of tail tidy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No didn't get it Dyno'd. The factory claim is an additional 14bhp taking to just short of 130bhp. I might get it done someday though especially as with baffles now out a remap might be of benefit.

The tail tidy does fit with the 990 Evolution Akra's, though it you leave the OE indicators on the indicator braket needs bending a bit so the indicators fall below the exhaust exit. I replaced the OE indicators with some smaller aftermarket ones - this is essential before removing the baffles as OE's would get blasted from the wider exit.

Follow this link to the RG-Racing sight for pics of the tail tidy.
KTM 950 & 990 Supermoto Tail Tidy Licence Plate Holder LP0057BK

I will see if I can load a pic of my bike with the tidy and akra's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts