KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, 1st post on here regarding technical issues, I’ve got my engine apart as the gearbox gave up on me, so in the process of rebuilding, changing damaged gears, bearings, seals etc! But for some reason I cannot remove the primary gear, it looks like it needs a removal tool, is it pressed on? Looked at vids of other models and it pulls off with fingers, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hello & welcome

I am afraid that I am unable to help you with your question. I am sure there are plenty on here who will.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You need to find a way of locking up the crank, I'm not a fan of sticking lumps of anything between the gears, the other thing to note is that the thread is 'reverse thread', clockwise to undo the nut! (Well it is on my 300 EXC)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been able to remove the nut(should have said that in original post) the struggle I’m facing is getting the gear off the shaft, it will not slide off,there is an internal thread on the gear, now does that need a tool? Apply heat? Cheers 👍

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It should just slide off but its a 'good fit' on the shaft, you may need to use a small 2 leg puller or knock something up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the advice, I’ll get myself a puller, your right about the’good fit’
I’ll let u know how I get on 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts