KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Eastern/Euro Tour - Any interest

Terry and I are meeting this weekend to finalise the details of the route.

The plan is to get to Split in about 5 days or so, taking in what sights we can along the way, looking at places like the Nerberg Ring, Black forest, Austrian Alps, Sloviena (no idea what is there, its just in the way) and on to Croatia. We will spend a day in the sun recovering on the beach somewhere then make our way back via a different route.

It aint going to be a race, it aint going to be a mad piss up, we are looking at rest days, places where we spend time off the bike, soaking up the culture, enjoying the local beer/wine/food etc.

We don't want to get tied down to specifics, we aim to just go with the flow and see where we end up.

Staying in B&Bs along the way

If anyone wants to come along and likes the sound of what we are planning on doing, please feel free to get in touch. If you want to join us for part of the route and piss off on your own at some point, again please feel free.

Departure is likely to be Friday 22nd July returning 2 weeks later.

Ferry is from Hull - Terry and I have a 2 man, bling cabin with a window on the top deck, and its costing us £230ish each return. Its an overnight ferry.

Let us know..................

Admin - can you keep a link to this in General and move the post to the appropriate forum. Thanks

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I'm just looking into planning a trip to Euro on the bike next year. There are a couple of interested parties but worst scenario I'm going to do it on my own.

I'm guessing 2000 to 2500 miles
(from Liverpool) give or take, taking in any countries along the way. Alps, Austria, France, Italy..........

Complete budget trip, not looking to stay in the Hilton, happy to take a tent.

Circa 5 days that's 400 miles / day.........ish.

I want to plan the route so that even the trip home is wicked/interesting.

I'll put up more information as I get it, costs etc, cant see it being much.

This will be a first for me so if there is anyone who thinks they would like to do this let me know, I'm happy to build the trip with your input.

It would be good to have an experienced tour geeza with us.

I'm on a 950 SMR

Anyone up for it?
You wont do 400miles a day on alpine roads. The only way to crunch 400miles a day is spend your holiday on the motorway.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wont do 400miles a day on alpine roads. The only way to crunch 400miles a day is spend your holiday on the motorway.
I've just been doing the numbers now, your right. Its gona take some planning this. There are a few sights I would like to get in along the way, im just listing them now.

How long were you out there? / how far.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yup, you coming then?

One last road trip before you get rid init.

You seen this place - EISRIESENWELT WERFEN - Site
Ive been planning my 5 or 6 day trip along west coast of france, i used google maps, start with 1 point to another point say for day one as that gives you mileage and timescales based on the roads you pick as you can drag the route marked to suit yourself :)
Then do day two's route.
You can tweak them later to do more or less miles to fit into a specific timescale

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke to big terry, its on. End of July/Aug.

10 - 14 nights

Alps / Dolomites via Germany, ferry over from Hull.

Nothing mad, just a chillaxing road trip, take in the culture, the odd day off the bike for enjoying the ambience of it all and to see the sights. Based on a previous jaunt we think £1200 all in (boats, rooms, fuel, food, surgery on ya sphincter if your on a moto etc.)

Limited luggage needed

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Just spoke to big terry, its on. End of July/Aug.

10 - 14 nights

Alps / Dolomites via Germany, ferry over from Hull.

Nothing mad, just a chillaxing road trip, take in the culture, the odd day off the bike for enjoying the ambience of it all and to see the sights. Based on a previous jaunt we think £1200 all in (boats, rooms, fuel, food, surgery on ya sphincter if your on a moto etc.)

Limited luggage needed
Same time i';m going with the wife :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi i would be interesed as i am planning something similar my self, and as you said worst case sinario on my own, when are you thinking of going?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at the Ferry for the 23rd July to the 6th August , the prices seem to [email protected]

£300 for one person and his bike

Or

Wait for it..............

£333 for two people and their bikes - This is Hull to Rotterdam

Not bad for £160 odd per person.

Not sure if we should book this sooner rather than later......I'll keep an eye.

Speaking to Terry, here is the plan, ish.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hi Terry, It looks like you are planning to get lost and ride about a bit after checkpoint D!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More or less........

You in or what fella?

Plenty of time to plant the seed and start scheming between now and then.

I'm looking forward to trying the local beers, the advertising campaigns look well nice...........

What say you?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not much chance of me going. Work is so busy the only long break im getting will have to be with the family. would like to hear a good write up and some pics afterwards. Someone needs to make a diary cam or something.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts