KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
the SMT at first had an oil weep at the case ventilation hose on the left alternator cover. first impression was it was the clamp so removed that and checked the hose visually, put a new clamp (jubilee clamp) and after my last ride I noticed again there was oil weep at the same place.

apart from the hose, is there another possibility for an oil leak at that place?
cheers,

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Does this vent hose (like on the earlier LC8's) have an inline 1 way valve up by the headstock? These can collect condensed oil vapour causing 'mayo'.

This may be blocked and causing the leak as you describe.

Design flaw really - warm air venting to a restrictive 1 way valve located at a point where cold air hits it - hence mayo build up.

Take the valve off and clean it with thinners.

The valve is there to prevent oil being dumped on air filter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have oil spray on the inside of the filter lid, and fine film deposited on the rear buttery so I don't think there is a check valve.
I'll have a look to rule it out and get back. cheers so far.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is the leakage I mentioned earlier, it leaves a trail towards the clutch, you can just about see it.
I count discover a check valve as you mentioned, Ship, I'll need to take the tank off for that. as far as I can recall the hose goes directly to the filter lid...

we just sold one of the houses so busy with moving stuff, when I have some time off I'll get the tank off. order a spare hose just in case...

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
The inline valve is up by the headstock, then the pipe goes to the airbox. It isnt immediately apparant. Might just need a tighten of the outlet by the case.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, found the inline valve in the exploded view.
the hose is 62630087001, but the inline doesn't seem to have a part nr, only showing as the valve with 2 band clips and no number... only curious...

ill see when I have the time to lift the tank and look for the inline valve.
hose clamp on the case already tightened, don want to do much more as I'm afraid the aluminium hose pillar might collapse.
it leaked with the original band clip, so might well be the hose.

cheers anyway!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's exactly what I had too: I thought it would be under airbox, but its under ignition...

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Worth looking at the seal between the hose fitting and the case as well - new washer?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we'll give it a look.
maybe today, I'll let you know. cheers so far!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well had a look today: there is no gasket/seal between the hose stub and the engine case, and the online parts fiche doesn't show one either. apart from that it wasn't tight either, actually quite loose.
put a copper washer now but there isn't really a flat under the hex. just need to try it now I suppose.

could've used Loctite thread sealant (577) but not so confident as there could be some residue coming off into the case.

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Ah, it looked like a washer on your first pic, but that is obviously just the change of case colour. If it was that loose, just nipping it up could have been enough to stop it leaking.

I would still look at the inline valve though (mine was in need of a clean by 10,000 miles)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ay, I still have to do that. not much opportunity at the mo to take the tank off to reach it, still got a house to clear out before May...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts