KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just signed up here (hello) my first post!

I've just purchased a 2012 XC250 despite pondering over that or the EXC as i fancy the odd bit of green laning too.

Last time I was on one of these i was doing my gcse's about 18 years ago!!! I've lost any skills i had :eek: went on a practice track last week which was 4 - 8" deep in mud and nearly went into cardiac arrest! Don't think the 20 a day habit helped :smokin: In fairness me and my mate were the only 2 fools on it so it was quiet, and the bloke warned it was muddy so did the session half price. After this baptism of fire I realise that I wouldn't mind some tamer "legal" green laning to get back into it, before trying the muddy tracks again.

My bike is already road registered and taxed but has no lights or numberplate, well it has a numberplate but thats in the ktm bag.

I know this has probably been asked before but what im after is at minimum a brake light and number plate carrier, if I buy a 2012 exc one will this be a straight fit? I dont really want to have to drill through the fender and bolt it on as to me it doesn't look right. Im after a factory fit look if possible

If not would my only option be to buy a 2012 exc rear fender and numberplate carrier?

Or are there any other options?

Any advice will be very appreciated, pics or links to products would also help too, i've spent nearly 2 weeks trying to find what i need on the net but cant.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You dont need a brake light to be legal. The exc numberplate carrier fits and can be run without extra fixings. (but I put one bolt through the fender)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi DaveFromYorkshire, I can't really help you but maybe you can help me lol! I too have a 2012 250xc pick it up this Saturday:D. How involved was it to get your bike registered? And how much did it cost to register and tax? I have the certificate of newness from ktm what's next? Did the dvla want to inspect the bike at all ?

Thanks in advance Stuart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuart,
Can't really advise you as I bought it that way so was no trouble for me at all ;). Bought it from a main dealer.
For your info mine is registered as an exc on the log book, don't know if they all are, so I don't know if any inspection will have been required There's no issue with insurance either, i've been quoted £130 tpf&t for the year with 0 years no claims bonus.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice one, yeah someone else said register it as a exc? No bother thanks for the speedy reply!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Speak to NIKNAK, he will sell you an XC wiring loom and a trial tech regulator.It takes about 30 mins to fit, then, just plug your lights in.No need for a brake light.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you want the factory look then exc rear fender & number plate carrier will be needed.
All the bolts are there to bolt on the carrier apart from the screws that go into the very rear of the fender.

Strip it down to this & just fit all the new bits back on.

I did drill through the fender as I'm still using the XC fender but it doesn't bother me once the graphics went on.

I have now wired all the lights up including horn, brake lights etc & it all works fine using all exc parts, I did wire in heated grips too, but I was told to use one or the other (lights & grips) & not at the same time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
NO need for extra wiring looms or regulators. The basic loom is there already for front and back lights.

The headlight plug is behind your front number board and the tail light plug under the seat.

The KTM rear light assembly will fit without the extra mudguard lugs using just the two existing bolts that hold the mudguard in place at the back.

Buy yourself a front headlight and rear taillight and you have everything you need. The rest is easy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
NO need for extra wiring looms or regulators. The basic loom is there already for front and back lights.

The headlight plug is behind your front number board and the tail light plug under the seat.

The KTM rear light assembly will fit without the extra mudguard lugs using just the two existing bolts that hold the mudguard in place at the back.

Buy yourself a front headlight and rear taillight and you have everything you need. The rest is easy.
Yes this is true - But i believe there's no wiring for the rear brake light, or horn or any sockets for light switch's etc
I just did as was sugested at the top of the page - bought the EXC loom & exc handle bar switches / brake light switch / lights then every thing was plug & play making life simple !

Speak to NikNak who will give you sound advice & stocks alot of great kit

http://www.endurotek.co.uk/

Email [email protected]

01429 861369

Or Private message him on here - him http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/private.php?do=newpm&u=6393

·
Registered
520 Posts

Trust me there's no headlight plug behind the number board or wiring Loom to take any lights on the 2012, I've done it so I know !
There maybe provisions on older bikes but not the latest models.
If you only use the 2 bolts that bolt the carrier to the frame the carrier WILL break off because it needs support from the rear fender.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Trust me there's no headlight plug behind the number board or wiring Loom to take any lights on the 2012, I've done it so I know !
There maybe provisions on older bikes but not the latest models.
If you only use the 2 bolts that bolt the carrier to the frame the carrier WILL break off because it needs support from the rear fender.
There is plugs for lights but not strickly legal for Uk use !
Just not worth the effort when its easy & cheap to get the EXC loom & have plug & Play with every thing working !

I wouldnt want to spend all that money on a rear light & not secure it adequatly like you say Martaz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
martaz which loom will i need? is it an easy enough job to do?
I take it i'll need, front light, rear carrier, rear light, loom, handlebar switch and brake switches for front and back. Is that everything? do your front and back brake levers both work the brake light?
I agree with you, no point spendinggood money on a bike and lights and it not be right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fred: Do you have a picture of the plugs, can you post them up ? As the only way I can see you can put a headlight on to work you would have to splice in to the FI light or the petrol light as this was the only power up front on my bike. Maybe it's that different on a 2 stroke ?

Dave : it is a doddle to do, the hardest part is fitting the wiring loom on the bike & getting the lead ends in the right place.
You need all parts you have mentioned, the front & back brakes both work the brake light, your probably want a horn too.
The loom I used was any exc 2008/9/10 , don't touch your existing loom at all. (The new wiring loom runs up the right hand side of the bike as you sit on it.)
At present it's just wired straight to the battery via a inline 10amp fuse. You might want to wire the loom via the starter relay as I'm lead to believe ? Which might be better ?, then the electrics will turn off once the bikes turn off but I haven't done this yet as it all works fine (not broke so don't fix it !)
I also got a secondhand Exc speedo that was reset to zero that also plugs in to the loom so it lights up as soon as the wheel is turned.
Just pm me with your email address & I'll send you some pics & give you any advise you need.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I didn't bother with a front brake light switch as of yet because it was too expensive for what it was (very expensive micro switch £40ish !) but having the exc loom it's there ready. I also tested it so I know it works but I think the rear switch is enough for now but its up to you, or you could use a hydraulic switch like the rear which is cheaper but more hassle fitting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so i've been looking at parts the 2012 exc loom seems cheaper!? than the 08-11 one

2012 part 54811075500 WIRING HARNESS Price: £51.96 (Inc VAT at 20%)
08 - 11 is 54811075350 WIRING HARNESS EXC Price: £90.12 (Inc VAT at 20%)

Am I missing something? seems a no brainer to spend almost half the price or am i being a no brainer!?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive put a list together for just lights, no horn or speedo for now, all of these are 2012 exc parts I don't know if this is right or wrong before i order:
54811075500 WIRING HARNESS Price: £51.96 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50311070000 H.LIGHT SWITCH CEV 2/4TAKT Price: £34.50 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50311051100 BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REAR Price: £11.64 (Inc VAT at 20%)
headlight
78014001000 HEAD LIGHT CPL. Price: £42.72 (Inc VAT at 20%)
0081050181 SCREW FOR PLASTIC K50 X 18 T20 Price: £0.36 (Inc VAT at 20%) X3
7800800100028 HEAD LIGHT MASK WHITE Price: £20.22 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50211086000 MASK RUBBER UFO WP Price: £3.66 (Inc VAT at 20%) X2
rear light
76514040000 REAR LIGHT Price: £53.22 (Inc VAT at 20%
0017060253 EJOT PT SCREW K60X25-Z SW=6 Price: £0.20 X2
78108016000 NUMBER PLATE CARRIER TOP £15.18
Total 238.24
Just querying the 2012 loom as I dont understand why it would be cheaper?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ive put a list together for just lights, no horn or speedo for now, all of these are 2012 exc parts I don't know if this is right or wrong before i order:
54811075500 WIRING HARNESS Price: £51.96 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50311070000 H.LIGHT SWITCH CEV 2/4TAKT Price: £34.50 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50311051100 BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REAR Price: £11.64 (Inc VAT at 20%)
headlight
78014001000 HEAD LIGHT CPL. Price: £42.72 (Inc VAT at 20%)
0081050181 SCREW FOR PLASTIC K50 X 18 T20 Price: £0.36 (Inc VAT at 20%) X3
7800800100028 HEAD LIGHT MASK WHITE Price: £20.22 (Inc VAT at 20%)
50211086000 MASK RUBBER UFO WP Price: £3.66 (Inc VAT at 20%) X2
rear light
76514040000 REAR LIGHT Price: £53.22 (Inc VAT at 20%
0017060253 EJOT PT SCREW K60X25-Z SW=6 Price: £0.20 X2
78108016000 NUMBER PLATE CARRIER TOP £15.18
Total 238.24
Just querying the 2012 loom as I dont understand why it would be cheaper?
Do you not need the numberplate carrier bottom?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts