KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks this is my first post on here and would like to ask for some info. I recently bought a exc 250 sight unseen off a trader on ebay (I know I know). The bike is road registered on a 13 plate but has KTM 14 on reg docs I would presume this would mean it was a 2014 model? Secondly what is concerning me the most is that it doesn't have electric start which I would have thought it would have due to age of the bike. It has a battery which I would assume would only be needed if it had electric start although I might be mistaken. My only idea is that the previous owner had removed the electric start although I cant see any evidence of there being one in the first place or replaced the motor with an older version or from a different model. Any info/help would be sound

Thanks

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Does the SX range of bikes have an electric starter? somebody will know. Does the bike that you have bought have lights? As far as I know the SX range does not have lights but I bet you could fit an EXC stator which would have you a charging system and lights.

The starter motor could be removed from an EXC but you would have to plug the hole in the side case with an aluminium plug or something similar.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Generally a MY 2014 will be reg in 2013, MY 2015 reg in 2014 etc. It is possible the electric start has been removed and an earlier cover fitted. Any evidence of ancillaries i.e wiring or starter solenoid/relay under the seat?. I removed the starter on my 300 and 200.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Does the SX range of bikes have an electric starter? somebody will know. Does the bike that you have bought have lights? As far as I know the SX range does not have lights but I bet you could fit an EXC stator which would have you a charging system and lights.

The starter motor could be removed from an EXC but you would have to plug the hole in the side case with an aluminium plug or something similar.
No electric start on the SX for that year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the bike has lights, switchgear, speedo etc. The bike has a battery and does charge so I would presume its a proper exc motor.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I reckon that its just been removed or disconnected, there is a plastic cover on the left side of the engine (LHS whilst you are sat on the bike), The starter lives under this cover and is orientated length ways along the bike, the starter is about the size of a D sized battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally a MY 2014 will be reg in 2013, MY 2015 reg in 2014 etc. It is possible the electric start has been removed and an earlier cover fitted. Any evidence of ancillaries i.e wiring or starter solenoid/relay under the seat?. I removed the starter on my 300 and 200.
yes it has all wiring, relays etc pretty much similar to my xcf 250. Why did you remove the starter? was it weak and no use?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reckon that its just been removed or disconnected, there is a plastic cover on the left side of the engine (LHS whilst you are sat on the bike), The starter lives under this cover and is orientated length ways along the bike, the starter is about the size of a D sized battery.
Theres no plastic cover on mine I reckon like you guys are saying it probably has been removed by previous owner. I was wanting to make sure that it was the correct motor for year of bike and I hadn't been ripped off with an older engine

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Theres no plastic cover on mine I reckon like you guys are saying it probably has been removed by previous owner. I was wanting to make sure that it was the correct motor for year of bike and I hadn't been ripped off with an older engine
The plastic cover could be removed but it would leave some of the casing bolts too long, they would need to be shortened or replaced with shorter bolts, It all sounds a bit odd!

The metal casing on the LHS would still have a hole facing forward, about the size of a AA battery! (that would have to be blocked). This is assuming that an SX side cover could not be used in its place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plastic cover could be removed but it would leave some of the casing bolts too long, they would need to be shortened or replaced with shorter bolts, It all sounds a bit odd!

The metal casing on the LHS would still have a hole facing forward, about the size of a AA battery! (that would have to be blocked). This is assuming that an SX side cover could not be used in its place.
Ok I will check this out when I get a chance thanks

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Plenty of people removed the electric starter and replaced with earlier engine case.

To be honest, even if it is an earlier engine, it's basically the same engine since 2003 or something. If it looks like a newer generation one, rides ok, and is fairly fresh then it's as good as.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plenty of people removed the electric starter and replaced with earlier engine case.

To be honest, even if it is an earlier engine, it's basically the same engine since 2003 or something. If it looks like a newer generation one, rides ok, and is fairly fresh then it's as good as.
Yeah its just had a top end including piston and a clutch and it feels crisp, just the e-start would have been handy in certain situations as I'm only 5.7 ha ha

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yeah its just had a top end including piston and a clutch and it feels crisp, just the e-start would have been handy in certain situations as I'm only 5.7 ha ha
I'm a short ass, in the end I cut 20mm out of the seat foam, I also shortened the shock which reduced the ride height another 30mm. (at the expense of 30mm of suspension travel)

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
I bet it's the right motor, the previous owner just removed the e-start and fitted a 250 SX engine cover. Problem is, if he also changed the wiring or removed starter relay and stuff, then its more work and more money to spend to get it button-started again. You could ask him, right?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
yes it has all wiring, relays etc pretty much similar to my xcf 250. Why did you remove the starter? was it weak and no use?
....because my size 10 never fails..........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought it off a trader so it would be unlikely he would know the history. The wring loom and all the relays etc appear to be present so it might be easy enough to re-fit at some point

1 - 20 of 27 Posts