KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Got a 690 smcr problem , it keeps cutting out when idling or at low revs. It only got 3k on in and barely done 400 miles in the last 4 years. Full Akra, k&n , mapped ( so I’m told). This is my dads bike , he bought it a year ago then fell ill ! It ran sweet when he bought it but never road it because of health, I took it for its MOT last September and all was good. After a slow recovery he serviced it last week and decided to take it for a spin ..... but this cutting out issue has started ! I’m thinking fuel or plug? Any help or experience would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
When it’s riding it’s fine though, cut out when waiting at a junction and when left to idle? Could that be fuel pump?

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Yeah still could be, they behave erratically so no real pattern to it at times, work well under load but not when idling. Go through the usual on these 690’s

15 minute idle reset (if it can idle for that long !)
TPS reset
Plugs
Air filter
Injector
Fuel pump / regulator

I had a 2008 690 Duke that did similar, turned out to be a crack plug lead

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right!
Changed the spark plugs , new inline filter, new fuel. No luck! Runs for about 10 seconds then dies.
But I did not a wired noise that continues after the fuel pump has finished ? Coming from under the seat area around throttle bodie, hard to pin point where? Any ideas?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Right!
Changed the spark plugs , new inline filter, new fuel. No luck! Runs for about 10 seconds then dies.
But I did not a wired noise that continues after the fuel pump has finished ? Coming from under the seat area around throttle bodie, hard to pin point where? Any ideas?

Thanks for the input.
Secondary butterflies I believe. They all do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, it’s really hard to describe the sound though. Are we probably thinking injector or fuel pump then?

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I’ve used KEMSO and these with good results, a lot of peeps went for Cycleworks but they are 3-4 times the prices of these and no better

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks,

Is that everything I need in the KESMO kit ?

Anything I need to watch out for when changing it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts