KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have test rode a 2017 Duke 690, the one with the revised engine, TFT screen etc, I loved it. Really impressed with the power, the seating postion and how it rode. Didnt get to test out handling due to very wet roads. Enjoyed the reassurance of ABS, TC and slipper cutch. Vibrataions minimal, I was expecting a lot more (it was my first big CC single that I have ridden.

I am coming from a 2012 Street Triple 675.

What I wanted to know is what is the relaiabity like on theses newer models? Anything I should be looking out for? What are they like to live with.

Any opinions really.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

Loads of info there. I've done 15 Trackdays on 690s, toured Europe etc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, did the 2016+ new revised engine address the rocker arm issues of the previous model?

Is there any UK online shops I can look at the Power Parts prices and order? Struggling to find Power Parts for the 2017 Duke online.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yes, very different setup regarding rockers.

Trevor Pope lists all the Fiches.

KTM.com will have all the powerparts. Ktm4u.co.uk usually too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the earlier model, a 2014 690 R. My bike has had some issues:
  • Two warped front disks (but then this is a consumable item. Latest one seems fine)
  • Cracked radiator (I think this issue was limited to the pre 2016 bikes and may be how the decat link pipe was mounted)
  • Exhaust snapped at the header (but I put this down to the cack-handed fitting of the decat link pipe by the previous owner)
  • Rocker arm bearing failure (not an issue on the model you're looking at)
However, I've done 30,000 miles on my bike in the last three years. The first owner did 3,000 miles in two years... I have had it on the track (and yes, you can ride round sportsbikes on it), toured solo and two up (really!), been away for weekends and social rides. And a bit of commuting.

If your mates nail their sports bikes on A-roads then you won't catch them up until you get to the blue flashing lights, or the twisty roads... its a very hard bike to catch on a twisty road.

I tried the 790 and whilst it has more power, it just doesn't get round the corners in the same way. I haven't tried the 890 yet, but it's the same weight at the 790, which is still quite a bit more than a 690. And it's the low weight, super handling, great brakes and punchy engine that makes the 690 such a fun bike to ride. It will always put a smile on your face - even when the weather / road is crap.

I've had various KTMs (a 950 and three 990s), a Fireblade, a Blackbird and two VFRs and this is the bike I've had the longest, and the only one where I don't keep thinking about changing it.

I had a 990 SMT when I bought the 690, and after six months I realised that I hadn't ridden the SMT, and it needed an MoT. So I thought I'll take the SMT for an MoT, and go for a longer ride back and if I like it I'll keep it. After 3 miles, I rode home and took out the 690 for a ride instead. The SMT went on ebay that weekend.

It's probably not as reliable as, say, a Honda but KTM has ironed out almost all of the issues and, let's face it, all bikes have some issues.

I love my 690. The only bike I think about swapping it for is the one you're looking at with the later engine etc.

All bikes are a compromise and I do not regret buying the 690 one iota.

Now, if I can find a later 690 with a tweaked-up engine like Weeksy had...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Now, if I can find a later 690 with a tweaked-up engine like Weeksy had...
That's a whole world of discussion right there due to the Hilltop situation and the thoughts that it was all a load of crap anyway.

My current 19 model is stock with Track Pack, Wilbers shock and orange yokes. The only thing it's missing compared to my old 16 one is the lack of adjustable forks. Which i may or may not address. I've got Donington on the 15th April, so will give it some thought after that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
here is my 690 2017 :) bought it last july at 3000km; now it has 5500km and i enjoyed absolutely every single meter with it :cool::cool:

Looking forward to the summer again!!

Now all you need to do is get rid of that lump under the engine...

View attachment 32081

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, just joined, been around bikes for years, and finally got round to buying a 2016 690 Duke (very stock), bought it 2018, and, yes am pretty convinced people see me and think I am deranged, for grin factor it is unbeatable, crazy forgiving handling and that sweet 690 single (fitted mine with an o2 sensor bypass which ironed out the sub 30mph kangaroo bit)...... However..... and as mentioned, nothing is perfect, went to capitalise on a fab sunny day and on opening the garage door, strong smell of petrol, turned out to be a constant drip from the bike, it had run down to empty, so putting a bit of fuel in, rode it to my nearest MC workshop (walking distance), turned out to be a warped fuel tank, on a 4 year old bike this was a surprise, then looking through my paperwork I note that this tank was a replacement for one that failed back in 2017 (warranty repair), am now hoping that KTM have some kind of pride in their products as a brand new replacement tank is being quoted at £585!!! Other than that, and the fact I had to get the saddle re-foamed as it is possibly the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned, not had a problem with anything, it does need fettling, and the lack of an adjustable (easily adjustable) rear shock annoys me... But go for a ride, that sweet sweet single.... Would I buy another..... Ummm, depends if KTM think that 3 years is ok for a fuel tank? Will see.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
'corona-virus' boring times in Belgium for the bike fans... No riding untill the lockdown is over...We can just ride to a store and back home...so we wash and we wash and we wash...

Keep it safe and stay healthy everybody!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Think the direction in the UK is to self isolate. Being on a bike in the middle of Wales, and not stopping, is a definition of self isolation. I think the Police would have a hard time saying it isn't.

·
Registered
440 Posts
well so far The Netherlands is not in lock down nor self-isolate, so we can still go about our business on the bike.
just keep your 1.5m distance and cough/sneeze in your elbow pit and alls good. and same as Deejfie147 wash wash wash and wash even if your skin is dry and cracking etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
well so far The Netherlands is not in lock down nor self-isolate, so we can still go about our business on the bike.
just keep your 1.5m distance and cough/sneeze in your elbow pit and alls good. and same as Deejfie147 wash wash wash and wash even if your skin is dry and cracking etc...
jullie hebben meer geluk als motorrijder 🆒

·
Registered
440 Posts
ja gelukkig wel, moet niet gekker worden met deze gevaarlijke gekte. uitstel van maatregelen t/m 28 april...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts