KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the specs now available for the new bike and only a KG difference in the weight which one for green lanes and the odd event? I have read that the 250 will be better in the "tight stuff" but as the bikes are effectively the same what is this about? How the power is delivered? Got a 250 now and don't ever think i need more speed. Would like a bit more torque early on but its sounds as if the new one has this. Just an average joe.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
i have both
the 250's better for the slow tight stuff,but as soon as it opens up the 350's a lot more fun for me
so it depends on where you ride and what makes you smile

if you're 250's fast enough why not fit a 280 kit?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have both
the 250's better for the slow tight stuff,but as soon as it opens up the 350's a lot more fun for me

Lucky bugger - best of both :)

I did wonder about the 280 option and assume they will do one for the 2017MY

I assume you don't have to ride the 350 as hard and rev it so much and can stay in second or third for more stuff?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i have both

What's the 350 like on technical stuff? Rocks logs big hills etc etc. Got a 250 2t now, love it but tried a 2011 350 on a h&h course and really liked it. But I want a good all rounder. H&h lanes extreme mx going etc. Not keen on 300's. Tried a 250 4t and it was alright but 350 delivery was more fun

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
250f is going to be much more fashionable in 2017 so go for the 250f.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all you thoughts and input but would like to know a bit more about the why?

I like the light weight feel of my 250 but next year there is bugger-all difference in the weight. I find i change gears quite a lot on the 250 and yes have tried changing the ratios. I assume i will be able to stay in a gear longer on the 350?

I "fancy" a 350 for a bit more oomph at the bottom end but am worried it will pull my arms off at the top! And before some SA says it - yes i know its all about the wrist action ;)

I heard /read that next years 250 will feel more like the old 350 which would be about perfect i am guessing. Waiting for Ady to get the bikes in to demo but interested in opinions in the mean time.

85% green lanes

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Appreciate all you thoughts and input but would like to know a bit more about the why?

I like the light weight feel of my 250 but next year there is bugger-all difference in the weight. I find i change gears quite a lot on the 250 and yes have tried changing the ratios. I assume i will be able to stay in a gear longer on the 350?

I "fancy" a 350 for a bit more oomph at the bottom end but am worried it will pull my arms off at the top! And before some SA says it - yes i know its all about the wrist action ;)

I heard /read that next years 250 will feel more like the old 350 which would be about perfect i am guessing. Waiting for Ady to get the bikes in to demo but interested in opinions in the mean time.

85% green lanes
It seems to me that your answering your own question?

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Get the 350 and you'll be a happy man. Dont worry it will not tear your arms off ...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems to me that your answering your own question?
I know what you are saying but only been at this for a couple of years and don't really have that much experience and have only had the one bike.

Just trying to tap into the "experience and wisdom" ;) of the forum.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Hahaha.... "wisdom of the forum". That's a good one

From your description you cant do anything wrong with the 350. Its faster, its stronger and you dont need to rev it as much in the faster bits. Don't confuse less nimble with heavy as a tank. Its only a bit less nimble than the 250 as both bikes have almost exact the same weight. And the 350's crank, piston and flywheel dont weigh a ton either.

Maybe you got the chance to testride them, that would be best.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

85% green lanes
it's all about what makes you smile mate
in the slow stuff the 250's better,round the corners it's faster too
but the 350 has an amazing engine and gearbox,so easy to ride lazy
you can pull away in 6th and it'll pull all the way to 80+mph
when i'm moving i normally only use 4th,5th and 6th

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I know what you are saying but only been at this for a couple of years and don't really have that much experience and have only had the one bike.

Just trying to tap into the "experience and wisdom" ;) of the forum.
Ive owned a 350 and a 250 for the last couple of years and I've just sold the 350 kept my 250 and put a deposit on a new 250, for me the 250 is best hands down.
I just love riding the 250s, no other bike I've ridden (and I've owned many in the last 40 years) gives me the same smile factor!
:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ive owned a 350 and a 250 for the last couple of years and I've just sold the 350 kept my 250 and put a deposit on a new 250, for me the 250 is best hands down.
I just love riding the 250s, no other bike I've ridden (and I've owned many in the last 40 years) gives me the same smile factor!
:) :) :)
Why is this? what does the 250 have the 350 doesnt? and vica versa? Also what sort of riding do you do? Im going to test both (+ a 250 2t) lots before I make any decision but good to get good feedback from everyone.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Why is this? what does the 250 have the 350 doesnt? and vica versa? Also what sort of riding do you do? Im going to test both (+ a 250 2t) lots before I make any decision but good to get good feedback from everyone.
I mainly green lane now but with the odd event.
In a nutshell the 350 is just not as nimble, it doesn't turn as well and is not as flickable,also to me it felt heavier.
I loved the engine of the 350f but the 250f does everything the 350f does and is just easier and more fun.
Ive just bought an XC250f 2014 to play about with and compare with my EXC250f six-days, I've only ridden it once so still playing around with it, now to decide which one to ride next week :)

Reactions: rich16

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The internals of a 350 will have more inertia so even though they weight "the same" it'll feel different,same as a 300 2T is not as flickable as a 250 2T,maybe think about it in the same terms.
A 250 2T will needs to be rev'd more to get to the power whereas a 300 2t has more grunt.the 250F is more rev hungry over the 350f.etc etc etc

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
the 250's amazing at nearly everything
good pull off idle,fast round corners,smooth...
but it doesn't have the grin factor for me
when you touch the throttle on the 350 it makes me smile,it's always there,but never too much
the gear ratios are nice and close,spot on

my 250's for sale because the gear ratios are poor,too big gaps between ratios
and what the fuck is 6th gear for,wouldn't pull the skin off rice pudding
nowhere near enough torque for me to play with
on fast tracks you never know what gear to be in
you sound like you're going fast but the 350's way faster on the open stuff
and on the road it's hard to keep awake on the 250

350 hands down for me
get a go on both, but make sure there's some fast stuff so you can get moving
don't just buy a 250 and think it'll be fine
it was a big waste of money for me

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The trouble is every one wants something different from their bike, how it rides, reacts etc and just comes down to all our own opinions, just look at what tools opinon and mine, the only thing you can do is beg a ride on both bikes.

As a complete aside, the only bike other than a 250 that I regret getting rid of is my Husaberg FE390, fantastic bike but too bloody heavy, but I'd still have another if the right one came along, I think............

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a difficult one as like you say how a bike feels to one person over another will be different and of course what people want will be different.

One interpretation of what is being said might be that if you like riding a bike "harder" then the 250 is the way to go but if your a bit more relaxed then 350 is the baby.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts