KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK got a stock 6 days 2017 500 bike as a base, looking at making it as bullet proof as I can, going to be used for greenlanes and light camping. I don't want a full on rally front. Any recommendations on what to do.
Handgaurds upgrade
Disc protection
Clutch protection
Radiator protection
Radiator fan
Maybe increase oil capacity
Top rear and side racks
Indicators
Tyres and do I go moosses
690 type wind sheild
Is a steering damper needed?
Bearings and seals wheels anything better than stock.

Been looking at
Zeta hand gaurds.
Zeta clutch protection with the roller and sprocket cover.
AS3 disc protection.
Nomad rear racks.
Motoz desert ht rear tyre, is it moose compatible.
Front tyre undecided.
Just need a little advice on products and if I need them. Aim is to stay light weight but make more capable for bigger distances. Cone from a 2t and I have a tenere for longer trips.

Cheers Andy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Would like a larger tank but not a massive one. A propper sump gaurd and exhaust cover, So need recommendations on those also.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have some mega tough looking Acerbis hand guards that came on my FE-350 that wrap all the way around, look very clean, but in white so maybe not so good unless your handy with spray can or can find new plastic covers in your colours.

Also got a pair of slightly higher rise bars which I plan to replace with stock ones in next week or so, I understand some folk prefer these for trail / distance riding so they might be useful to you - although need to ride with stock ones to make sure flogging these cheap is not a huge mistake.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some mega tough looking Acerbis hand guards that came on my FE-350 that wrap all the way around, look very clean, but in white so maybe not so good unless your handy with spray can or can find new plastic covers in your colours.

Also got a pair of slightly higher rise bars which I plan to replace with stock ones in next week or so, I understand some folk prefer these for trail / distance riding so they might be useful to you - although need to ride with stock ones to make sure flogging these cheap is not a huge mistake.
Bikes white 😂. I want some guards that won't bend as easy hence the zeta ones, had them before, should be good with the standard bars that are on it, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I've gone through that a few times. Ive been pondering over it for a while now, been watching reimann and a few others who adventure ready the 500, most of the parts they use arnt easy to get in the UK, will sit down and go through all the stuff I need and don't again then order it all.
Was hoping someone may have done similar an here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got mine prepared for longer trips, have done 5 days camping off it and a few days in hotels.

Large tank is essential, decent hand guards too. Engine case protection is sensible. I wouldn't bother with disc protection for that sort of riding. The large tank offers a lot of radiator protection too. A fan is very sensible.

The giant loop style luggage is good, light and easy to use. Don't bother with racks just get the giant loop or mosko moto or equivalent.

Mousses are ideal for me. Have done 8500 miles on my 500 and only 3 or 4 sets uses, at least one set wasn't necessary but done out of precaution before a longer trip.

You don't mention the seat, I got a local guy to do mine, cheap but should have bought a seat concepts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent thanks, that's the type of info aim I'm after, think I have over thought and spent to much time dreaming and watching YouTube. I fancied a different set up I accumulated quite a bit of the kriega stuff, 5l,10l, 20l, 30l. Got a giant loop fandango tank bag. I'm sort of hoping this bike will fit the bill better than my 2t which I've sold and my tenere,the tenere is great and eats miles up but tires you out on the rough stuff.
What size tank did you go for and what was the range roughly.
I'm going to ride the 500 get used to it and work a plan out. Seat wise I'm not sure on.
Thanks Andy.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I’ve just finished a 6 day ride on mine. Wolf man Enduro tank bag for tools, it’s only small so doesn’t get in the way. Camping gear in Kriega OS36, no need for pannier frames. Clothes and general crap in Kriega 20 on the top of rear mudguard. Worked great.

Fitted an 11.5 litre tank for extra range and doesn’t feel too bulky.

White Cyra hand guards work a treat. Seat Concepts ordered. Scott’s steering damper switched from previous bike as used one for years

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just looking at luggage options, I can mount my kriega stuff on for now, can't find giantloop or mosko moto stuff, will look on there specific sites, seen somone use the ex army webbing yolk to attach luggage. Tank wise Im currently looking at the acerbis 15l that still keeps the front plastics. The 11.5l I will look at also.
Screenshot_20200504-202602.png
Screenshot_20200504-202742.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 15L acerbis gives me about 180 or 200 miles range. If you can get the IMS tank I am told it has brass inserts for screwing the plastics in, which is better.

Giant Loop Coyote is what I used.

·
Administrator
8,633 Posts
Nomad
MST
Aurora
Omega

All have light rally screens for the EXCs. I have gone for the MST one for my 690.

Most of these companies also sell lots of rally accessories, worth a look.

Reactions: Albert 888

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
Giant loop type saddle bag gets my vote.

I have a G-it alloy sump guard from a 530. It might fit. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Giant loop type saddle bag gets my vote.

I have a G-it alloy sump guard from a 530. It might fit. PM me if you are interested.

I never found my Giant Loop waterproof despite sealing the seams, it just collected and held water better than keeping it out. Not great in the good old UK, hence using Kriega stuff now.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
I have a 2nd hand 'giant basin' that l use on the ADV. P.O had sealed the seams with the originaly supplied waterproofing jollup and l topped this up with (dont laugh) thompsons wster sealer. Works a treat and keeps stuff dry. I use waterproof inner liners, but no need really. My only gripe is that one of the securing cam straps broke.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been watching Adam Reinmann , rolling hobo and others. I'm being to feel less is more. Bike needs to be capable of everything from enduro, hare and hounds, rallys, green lanes, tet, etc. So if I spend on the luggage I can save on having racks etc on the bike.
So far I'm thinking
Zeta hand gaurds.
Acerbis 15l tank.
Got a zeta clutch/chain gaurd and roller in the post.
Seat undecided.
Sump gaurd axp hde type or a aluminium one.
Need to mount the garmin, either ram mount or make a bracket.
Giantloop / mosko moto luggage, can use my kriega stuff for now mounted to a webbing yolk.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Acerbis 15l tank fit.
Playing with luggage options, the webbing yoke fits a treat, just need some lash down D rings.
Next on with fitting the garmin.
DSC_0787.JPG
DSC_0789.JPG
DSC_0786.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts