KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First post from me, I’ve got a 2017 SDGT and daily commute on it about 75 miles per day. Everything was working fine but I had an intermittent fault with the LH switch gear. Sometimes the main beam flash wouldn’t work then the RH inidicator didn’t work for a journey then it was fine. Last week RH indicators would not work at all. I assumed LH switchgear so bought one and fitted it but still same fault, RH indicators not working. The hazard switch works and all indicators flash but not the RH indicators when using the turn switch? Any ideas greatly appreciated before I spend a fortune at KTM letting them fault find.

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you buy brand new or second hand?
A few people have reported issues and had the switchgear replaced under warranty.
If you bought second hand you may have bought one with the same issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes bought second hand and I only have the guys word for it that it was working but he bought a Replacement as the indicator button had snapped on his. I’ll go back to him and check again as I’m reluctant to purchase a new one as they are £400 but may end up doing that. I just wanted to check if there was any other common cause or known issue that affects the indicator on one side apart from the switchgear that I can check. Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had issue with my left turn indicator so removed the complete unit, took apart and gave it a good clean and service. Been fine since, 6 months of ridding no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke with KTM dealer who advised 95% of the time it is the switchgear and I may have been sold a broken part. I’ve ordered a brand new one so fingers crossed, if not I will be looking for a wiring diagram for a 2017 SDGT if anyone has a copy?

thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, hence why I tried eBay first. However KTM won’t offer a refund if I take the switchgear out of the shop so if it’s not that I’m going to be well out of pocket. I tried following the wiring but I’m struggling to find the correct wire and I’m not sure if the black box on top of the battery is the Motorcycle Control Unit? Trying to follow pin 3 from the switch to pin 4 on the MCU, see diagram below. Any electrical experts on here as I’m still concerned the switchgear may not be fault despite KTM advice?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The KTM is a Canbus system and every thing goes through A10 which is the CCU U may have a broken wire in the switchgear loom in the steering head area :unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The KTM is a Canbus system and every thing goes through A10 which is the CCU U may have a broken wire in the switchgear loom in the steering head area :unsure:
Can you let me know where this CCU is located on the bike as I’m struggling to identify the correct control unit. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Switch didn’t fix it so it went to Gear4 3 days ago but they have now closed. No idea what the fault is, I assume either broken wire between the switch and the MCU or the MCU itself. The hazards work and as it’s separate wiring from the MCU to the front and rear indicators I can’t see it being after the MCU. This looks expensive as KTM have said they don’t really fault find on the wiring loom and probably replace it. £600+ for the front wiring loom and the MCU is similar. Any electrical geniuses on here as I’m thinking I may get the bike back and try myself with some online help? Thanks again.

Original fault is RH indicators ( front and rear) not working but hazards do work and LH indicators work fine. I have changed the LH switchgear but no change to fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts