KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this forum but hoping for help and to give help as much as i can,
couple of months ago i attempted to ride to Germany on my BEAST but unfortunately when i got to Paris the trouble started.

riding along and its just a complete loss of power either fuel is cut or spark
no warning lights on the screen and no failure codes, its just instant loss of power the throttle still opens the throttle bodies as i can hear then sucking air and i have to clutch it to roll to safety.

bike had to be recovered around 500 mile to my house when it happened in Europe last month.

Dmc moto in the midlands undertook the following work
fuel pump / filter replacement
fuel sender replacement
power on button replaced

yesterday i went on a 300 mile ride round wales and on the way back exactly the same thing happened again bike doing slight hesitating then cutting out.

when i roll to a stop it wont fire up but if i turn off ignition and back in it fires up straight away again for another 2-3 mins then the same again.

its knocked my confidence massively in the corners as loss of power on a 1300cc twin will kill you when engine brake kicks in mid corner when you need power to lift out of a bend.

has anyone else had this its so frustrating as i love the bike but rely on it massively

any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2018 1290 super duke cutting out

couple of months ago i attempted to ride to Germany on my BEAST but unfortunately when i got to Paris the trouble started.

no warning lights on the screen and no failure codes, its just instant loss of power the throttle still opens the throttle bodies as i can hear then sucking air and i have to clutch it to roll to safety.

bike had to be recovered around 500 mile to my house when it happened in Europe last month.

fuel sender replacement
power on button replaced

yesterday i went on a 300 mile ride round wales and on the way back exactly the same thing happened again bike doing slight hesitating then cutting out.

when i roll to a stop it wont fire up but if i turn off ignition and back in it fires up straight away again for another 2-3 mins then the same again.

its knocked my confidence massively in the corners as loss of power on a 1300cc twin will kill you when engine brake kicks in mid corner when you need power to lift out of a bend.

has anyone else had this its so frustrating as i love the bike but rely on it massively

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Very weird and I've not heard of such an issue before.

Could it be a side stand switch/clutch lever switch perhaps? Is there a tilt switch anywhere on these?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts

fuel sender replacement
power on button replaced

Never heard of this particular issue, usually I would expect failure codes !!!! I`d contact DMC and tell them the problem still persists.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
How many miles has this bike done?
Did you buy it new?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello there,

This does not sound good.

This sounds very electrical to me. The reason I say this is because the dash is not warning you of any issues and that an effective CTRL-ALT-DEL of the bike (ie switching it off and on again) is giving you temporary relief.

So - a couple of things to check:

1) Connectors to the ECU are not bend,damaged or making sure you don't have a nicked wire in the loom
2) The other area I would check is the throttle-body sensor. It maybe going intermittently electrically short and cutting the power.
3) If it was a fuel pump failure, you would experience stuttering (ie lack of fuel)
4) Depending on the bike, it could be an electrical issue on the HV lead to the sparkplug. Assuming most systems are generally integrated LV->HV, it could also be a coilpack failure.

What I would say is get your bike to a dealer (if its under warranty) and get them to check out the ECU codes (my 2014 bike is very verbose when it had all kind of weird problems with its battery)

If the ECU is not being verbose, its going to be the ECU that is failing silently. Could be a electrically dry joint on the motherboard (and a host of other related issues).

Things to think about.

I'm sure others will chip in.

Thanks

Max

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello there,

This does not sound good.

This sounds very electrical to me. The reason I say this is because the dash is not warning you of any issues and that an effective CTRL-ALT-DEL of the bike (ie switching it off and on again) is giving you temporary relief.

So - a couple of things to check:

1) Connectors to the ECU are not bend,damaged or making sure you don't have a nicked wire in the loom
2) The other area I would check is the throttle-body sensor. It maybe going intermittently electrically short and cutting the power.
3) If it was a fuel pump failure, you would experience stuttering (ie lack of fuel)
4) Depending on the bike, it could be an electrical issue on the HV lead to the sparkplug. Assuming most systems are generally integrated LV->HV, it could also be a coilpack failure.

What I would say is get your bike to a dealer (if its under warranty) and get them to check out the ECU codes (my 2014 bike is very verbose when it had all kind of weird problems with its battery)

If the ECU is not being verbose, its going to be the ECU that is failing silently. Could be a electrically dry joint on the motherboard (and a host of other related issues).

Things to think about.

I'm sure others will chip in.

Thanks

Max
Thanks for the reply and we are defiantly on the same page in our way of thinking,
I have a feeling its ecu related because of the speed things change there is a stutter but its almost instant and if i open the throttle some times everything comes back but as if i have just re instated the kill switch with a sudden jerk like flicking a switch.
Its going to be an interesting journey with ktm because it only happens with heat,

one if the things i was thinking is prior to taking the bike to ktm to gently heat up the ecu with a hairdryer or something and quickly plug in and start the bike and see if it plays up because its defiantly temperature related or time related.
I think because Monday was warm and the ride was round 300 mile the ecu had time to heat up under the seat towards the end of the journey, but then again wouldn't it get hot after a being parked and the residual heat rising off the rear cylinder?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts