KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking at a used 2018 250 EXCF and noticed the exhaust O2 / Lambda sensor has been removed and blanked off.

My guess is some kind of performance mod? Was this a common mod for this year/model?
They are pricey to replace so would leaving it out be ok?
Is there potentially other mods to look for that were commonly done along with the O2 delete?

Cheers!

PS - Bike is from a dealer, not private seller so no history.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't think it is needed. I have a few mates with these bikes and they don't have them connected.

However, keep an eye on the blanking plug, I have known one come loose and fall out while trail riding and it's a bugger to find something suitable to plug the hole up in the middle of nowhere and the bike will run very badly.We ended up poking a stick in the hole and holding it with a jubilee clip. Not particularly high tech!

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
It's for homologation...taken off at PDI

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyday is a school day!

Dealers make a nice bit of extra then, selling brand new O2 sensors on eBay ;)

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
and why would anyone want a 02 sensor that is never fitted to a bike after pdi?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’d bet the sensors are the same sensors on their road bikes. Which probably don’t get removed at PDI.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My '16 350f has only got the blanking plug. From what I understand, the bike is designed to fuel itself with no feedback, much like a carb in some ways, so just throws a pre determined amount of fuel at the engine depending on revs and throttle opening. This is good for power, and throttle response, not so good for emissions. For homologation (ie to be road legal) they fit an O2 sensor which would feedback to the ecu whether the bike is over fueling or not. This means a potential loss of power and certainly a drop in throttle response. Its a necessary evil for pure road bikes and cars, but we can get away with a it more on ours. Its akin to rejetting a carb bike. The bike would technically only be road legal with the standard jetting, but perform a lot better with the "correct" jets.

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
Will the next euro emission regs mean the sensor needs to be permanent? That won’t be good at all if it does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts