KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put some of the correct rate fork springs in a 2018 250 tip, for a friend, the compression leg appeared to have no discernible compression damping at all when I received them. 40 hours from new. Thought I would find no oil in it, but got about the right amount out. New oil in , damper rod did bugger all. Rush job so no time to look at shim stack. Guessing that a shim has bent ?

Will investigate further when time and availability permits, anyone any experience of this , xplor 48 forks with separate rebound and compression legs, standard not 6 days.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
It’s how they are. It’s the funny 1950s fixed orifice piston. It’ll allow flow through it at low speeds but restricts movement at high speed. It’s utterly brilliant if this is a feel you like. Completely the other way if not.

Reactions: jimdavis

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely oil should be pumped up into the adjuster at the top of the fork ? I get it is high speed damping but no matter how quickly I moved the damper rod nothing at all !

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
You won’t be able to move it fast enough and with enough weight behind it. Anyone who’s done an oil change on them comes across this. It doesn’t work like a normal for. The shim stack will be for another region of damping not the bit you are looking at by moving the rod.

Reactions: DougW

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Pindie is right, there's no damping by hand.....

Reactions: DougW
1 - 6 of 6 Posts