KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo,

The last 690 SMCR was discontinued in 2017 (due to Euro 4 compliance) and according to MCN the replacement will be arriving in 2019 ... there's even some spy shots of an enduro version.

Apparently slimmer bodywork, bigger bore / shorter stroke for more power

........ But what else do we want ?.

I'll begin with my thoughts

1) No "kick in the nuts" price discounting at the end of the summer
2) Switchable ABS at no extra cost (who the hell needs rear ABS on one of these !)
3) An underslung brake rear caliper would be nice (easier wheel changes)
4) Lithium battery as standard
5) A little more "cooling margin" for very hot weather / slow traffic
6) An "entry level" version £1500 cheaper ?.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
pics please

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Why wait till 2019 ....701sm has most of what you mentioned

·
Registered
303 Posts
Soooo,

The last 690 SMCR was discontinued in 2017 (due to Euro 4 compliance) and according to MCN the replacement will be arriving in 2019 ... there's even some spy shots of an enduro version.

2) Switchable ABS at no extra cost (who the hell needs rear ABS on one of these !)
Jesus what planet do you live on....do you honestly think the manufacturers look at the forums and give a shit about what the people that buy their bikes think? Let's try this...can a KTM "CEO" or someone of some serious "exectuive" position reply?? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....:)
they willl just do what they want.

·
Registered
SMCR
5 Posts
Soooo,

Totally agree 100%.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A quick trip in the Delorean and here we are in 2022 ...... and I've just bought a '22 '690.

Thought I'd go back through my wishlist (from Jan 2018) and see how it all turned out

1) No "kick in the nuts" price discounting at the end of the summer) (Ha ! ..... fat chance, it's worse than ever these days methinks)
2) Switchable ABS at no extra cost (who the hell needs rear ABS on one of these !) (Oooooo, I wonder if the CEO really was listening ? - big "tick" on this one)
3) An underslung brake rear caliper would be nice (easier wheel changes) - (Nope .... and wheel fitting's still a twat)
4) Lithium battery as standard (Nope ..... but maybe sometime in the next year or two - to replace the engine 😁)
5) A little more "cooling margin" for very hot weather / slow traffic (Dont know yet, not tried)
6) An "entry level" version £1500 cheaper ?. (In 2015 I paid £6800 for my last SMC, brand new, main dealer. I'm thinking its's not that far behind this number even now. It's easy to loose sight of how just much things have changed - maybe as soon as next year there will be no chance of getting a new '690 for under £10k)

Other thoughts

The '22's got more power, but a fair bit less mid range (although in fairness it probably needs a few miles on it). Much smoother, loads more electronics (but a more basic dash ?!). The "Evo" airbox top fits straight on from the old bike even though the seat design has changed (for the better I'd say.). The seat release is a better idea now it's locked under the fuel cap. The bar position has lost the reversable / adjustable risers so there's less scope to move the bars around. Not sure about the rubber inserts in the footpegs - I'll need to get used to them.

Early days, but so far so good. Brace yourselves for a full report in 2028

1 - 9 of 9 Posts