KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading further through my 250 EXC Owner's Manual and apparently when the bike is new the diagnostic codes have to be read after 1 hour and 5 hours' runtime, then every 20 hours thereafter.

I expect the for 1st few code reads (i.e whilst still under warranty) it will be most convenient to just return the bike to the supplying dealer but has anyone on here been able to read out the codes themselves on the 2020 bikes? This (vid) is the kind of thing I have in mind, I drive a VW and have a code reader which has helped me pinpoint several faults. Not expecting my car code reader to work on the bike but would be happy to purchase one:

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Yep you can just get an obd reader just make sure it’s correct version.
If you have Carista use that but you still need the converter.
works with a few diff obd reader apps but fault codes i don’t think work as custom to ktm.

works in my 2018tpi

When I got mine new after first hour- ish.... well a days riding , just pulled Ecu and dealer read from that in a new bike off the floor.
The @5 hours and every 20 seems new.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Warranty ?

Reactions: HOTSHOT III

·
Registered
541 Posts
Piece of piss to do as shown in the video. Very handy for diagnosing any issues.

All Betas have this capability, even carbed 2Ts, and come with an OBD2 interface cable in the tool kit. I got one of the scanner dongles like the one in the video for £12 off Amazon and the app is free.

I used it on my 200RR Beta to test the TPS for the oil injection as you can read the %'ge open as you twist the throttle. Loads of other data available from FI bikes.

At least you can go back to a dealer knowing what the fault is so they can't bullshit you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuck all that shit I was just about to buy a Tpi but now I will definitely stick with my dinosaur carb bike.Tpi far to complicated for a dirt bike.
I don't entirely disagree with you, and just like adjusting points it's very satisfying to do a carb strip on a poorly running bike and make it run perfectly.
But going back through postwar and late 20th Century MX history, exactly the same thing was said about liquid cooling, disc brakes, monoshock suspension and powervalves at one time or another, all of which have immeasurably improved the bikes we ride today. The late-80s CR250 HPP valves had roughly 20 moving parts and had to be serviced every 2 hours but people put up with it because at the time it was hands down the best engine of all the 250s.
If TPi allows the public to buy a brand new racing two-stroke in an age of eco-loony climate hysteria, I say let's get up to speed with the technology so we the public can carry on enjoying ourselves (y):devilish:

·
Registered
547 Posts
It does make me smile when I hear people still talking about tpi being overly complicated and saying they aren’t going to get one. awesome bikes and I’ve no plans on changing my ’18 as it’s been flawless for 300+ hours despite my crap riding giving it endless abuse

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
It does make me smile when I hear people still talking about tpi being overly complicated and saying they aren’t going to get one. awesome bikes and I’ve no plans on changing my ’18 as it’s been flawless for 300+ hours despite my crap riding giving it endless abuse
300 + hours? - what engine work have you had to do? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts