KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..I have caved in and booked a demo on the 2020 SDR in a couple of weeks time.

I guess the outcome is inevitable!

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Which dealer?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took one out yesterday from CBM for a few hours while my gen 2 was being serviced.

As much as i like it, i don think its worth me part ex'ing mine for one. Not a big enough improvement over the gen 2.(just my opinion)

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
I have a test ride booked for Tuesday 😊

Reactions: KTMMarky

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took one out yesterday from CBM for a few hours while my gen 2 was being serviced.

As much as i like it, i don think its worth me part ex'ing mine for one. Not a big enough improvement over the gen 2.(just my opinion)
I've had a 990sdr, MKI & MKII 1290's and now the 1290SAS & no doubt the MKIII will be mega having been off a SDR for a while.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's 3 trains of thought hear, if you just pootle about on the old bike it will never be worth another 10k on top of the old model, but then again will any new bike? . If you comment on the new bike against the financial point of view of trading in your old bike it will still not be worth it.

If your trying to justify the purchase of the new bike after loosing your ass on the old bike like me its still irrelevant ;)
I do look forward to hearing how you guys get on though, don't forget if all else fails Marky the new bike looks a hell of a lot better :whistle: although from the tone of your posts I think you have resigned to the fact your gonna have a new toy in the garage (y)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agree with all of that, we all have different needs and wants from our bikes so of course not everyone is going to like or want a gen3. Having said that I think it's a bloody brilliant bit of kit and there's nothing I'd swap it for :) I hope you all enjoy your test rides and as mak says I'm also looking forward to hearing your views

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve not had a gen 1 or 2 duke, I’ve ridden them plenty of times as as a group we jump on each other’s bikes all the time. I never got on the those ones when pushing on, maybe it’s just me?!?
ive ridden mainly on tuonos And speed triple rs,
i was blown away by the gen 3 as immediately the front felt far better to me, the riding position was perfect (6’2”) 47 year old bloke, took it for 6 hours from my local dealer as I’ve bought far too many bikes of them over the years so they let me try out a bike for decent amount of time.
I’ve got a Superadventure S so I know the engine well, but it spins and revs so freely now, I’ll definelty get one, probs next year, so I’m loitering here for info !

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a test ride booked for Tuesday 😊
Is it Tuesday yet :) I hope the weather is ok for your test ride, incidentally I never bothered with one, I got the bike delivered without even sitting on the thing, I was due a new bike and to be honest there's only 3 bikes worth a look in this segment, the old tuono that is defiantly due an update, the v4 street fighter that doesn't appeal as a road bike and the old faithful.

I think we are just about at the pinacol of road bike and car technology before the electric and emission laws kick in, maybe another 3 year cycle left but after that I think where all fooked .

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
Is it Tuesday yet :) I hope the weather is ok for your test ride, incidentally I never bothered with one, I got the bike delivered without even sitting on the thing, I was due a new bike and to be honest there's only 3 bikes worth a look in this segment, the old tuono that is defiantly due an update, the v4 street fighter that doesn't appeal as a road bike and the old faithful.

I think we are just about at the pinacol of road bike and car technology before the electric and emission laws kick in, maybe another 3 year cycle left but after that I think where all fooked .
TBH I probably don't need a test ride but its a day off work and always exciting. I agree with what you say about the demise of the petrol engines, my mate recently bought a Merc AMG, its the last of the V8's. He rightly pointed out, what manufacturer would still be putting R&D £££'s into V8's.

But, electric engines do offer unbelievable torque!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought my 990 & both 1290 SDRs without even sitting on them.

The MKIII would replace my RSV4RF. I miss the SDR and it's immediate punch . The Aprilia is really fast in a head down bum up way and I only use it on track now.
The SAS feels quite asthmatic, but it's comfy, practical and goes 250 miles on a tank or thereabouts so that has it's place. The Aprilia is a work of art when you look at the build and that engine & electronics are both sublime.
Soul is the what the SDR's have and no other modern bike (my '66 Bonnie & '82 LC also have soul/character to me) can replicate. Maybe the Duke Streetfighter (& I'll ride that too) is worth a look.

For me the SDR was designed from the ground up to be a hyper naked whilst it's competitors are converted sports bikes and the 765 as nice as it is isn't in the same league of performance or price..

I will not buy a KTM now unless there's a stonking deal as their end of season giveaways are inevitable & I'd also want the full Akra, triple clamps, damper etc etc so that gives more options too.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
..I should add that the MKII was a big leap from the MKI and from what I gather the MKIII is an even bigger step and that I need to find out for myself.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts