KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1290 Adv SAS, 2003 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, 1996 Triumph T300 Special
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Review after Review of the new 1290 Adv SAS/R the testers complain that the switch is finicky/crap etc..to cancel.

On my bike I have discovered that the cancel motion is DOWN (i.e. towards the tarmac) not IN i.e. towards the switchgear). Push it down and it works 100% every time, a very good design, as you just stroke your thumb downwards past all the other switches

If KTM would just tell their dealers how it is designed who in turn could advise testers/reviewers before they take the bike out for a ride..................

Paul
PS: So far so good with the new bike

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm new to KTM and that switch baffled me for a while but you are right it's a doddle once you know how.
Yes - but why make it different to every other bike on the market - there is just no need for it and it's a pain in the arse when swapping between different bikes (n)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yes - but why make it different to every other bike on the market - there is just no need for it and it's a pain in the arse when swapping between different bikes (n)
You could ask why we did not just continue to use arm signals, lights that required gas and a latch to turn on.

Not different to every other bike, anyone that has ridden an earlier GS will still have nightmares about the system with an indicator switch on each fucking handlebar.

My CB500X had reversed the horn and indicator compared to "every other bike" (or at least those I had ever ridden) so I used to beep the fucking horn every time I wanted to turn left.

The ones on my Husky do not have a push to cancel system, so they too are different.

But I get the sentiment, KTM seem to have made a change for no reason - unless they got these ones a bit cheaper, or some bloke who's job it is to design stuff needs to keep coming up with new shit.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I flick the high beam on all the time with my index finger on my 2021 when using the clutch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The indicator cancel annoyed me when I demoed the bike, but that was the only thing I didn't like compared to my 2018 SAS. Figured out the technique fairly quickly and have had 6 very happy months on it so far.

Another trick is not to let go of the start button until the engine is definitely running. If I let go to soon I get preload and damping errors every time so have to switch off for 10 minutes.

Daz

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've done that occasionally.

Was out in proper darkness last night on an unlit road for the first time since I got this bike. Headlights are amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts