KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went tyre kicking at Moto Corsa today. Had a good hard look at the new 1290 S. Fuck me it's ugly.
It's bulbous blob with more nasty looking anonymous black plastic than a cheap Korean hatchback. And the twin radiator arrangement, judging by the state of their demo bike, seems expressly designed to funnel as much shit onto the engine as possible. Looks a bitch to clean too.

If I ever trade my 1190, it will have to be for the outgoing 1290 S. The new one is a minger. And for me, they've spoiled it with the lower seat height. It might make KTM ownership more accessible for stumpy dwarfs, but for normal sized 6' Anglo Saxons like me who were fed properly as children, it lacks the leg room of the old bike or the 1190.

I suspect it will be bought mostly by old balding gays with hemorrhoids and hair in their ears.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I almost went to Moto Corsa today.....had a demo bike from Holeshot Salisbury...the 701 Supermoto. I got to Shaftesbury and then I thought of Compton Abbas. Moto Corsa couldn't source a KTM 690 for me as the country has sold out of them so a Husky it is.

However like you I won't be changing my 1190R for any of that new fangled stuff....looks horrible and the 1190 engine is the best so far (having had the 950 Adventure and two 990R Adventures)

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I've sold my house I'm thinking of giving my 1190 a full refresh with a suspension rebuild (40,000 miles), new airbox, a Doberman titanium decat full system and a custom map. I'm putting a stage 3 DNA airbox on my Superduke and if it doesn't make my head hurt I may get one for the 1190.
Part of me would like the extra grunt of a (pre-'21) 1290 S, but I hate all the stupid electronics and the keyless shit and I'm certain the 1190 engine has a lot more oomph in it with the right treatment. And I love its simplicity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went tyre kicking at Moto Corsa today. Had a good hard look at the new 1290 S. Fuck me it's ugly.
It's bulbous blob with more nasty looking anonymous black plastic than a cheap Korean hatchback. And the twin radiator arrangement, judging by the state of their demo bike, seems expressly designed to funnel as much shit onto the engine as possible. Looks a bitch to clean too.

If I ever trade my 1190, it will have to be for the outgoing 1290 S. The new one is a minger. And for me, they've spoiled it with the lower seat height. It might make KTM ownership more accessible for stumpy dwarfs, but for normal sized 6' Anglo Saxons like me who were fed properly as children, it lacks the leg room of the old bike or the 1190.

I suspect it will be bought mostly by old balding gays with hemorrhoids and hair in their ears.
I thought exactly the same and that’s why I traded in my 1290SAS 2017 for a 1290SAS 2020 on a 21 plate 😂👍🏼 to get the last of that model. In my opinion KTM have gone backwards with the 2021 model and makes you think why the hell they mess about so much with a proven bike, should have just thrown powerparts on a 2020 model as standard for the 2021…. changing what they have does not make sense

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
It makes sense when you consider only the tallest @20% of bikers can reach floor of old model, new one maybe 40-50%. Also sit in rather than on, more like GS and you have to think making GS owners feel more at home could help sales.

Having ridden one it is a bit smoother, better suspension adjustment - and preload adjustable on move.

I think it may also be a bit more nimble - overall slightly improved or no worse in every way....

...ignoring less leg room for us tall folks and more techy shit to go wrong.

·
Registered
1290 Superduke R
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sheer acreage of black plastic is makinbg current KTMs look really tacky, cheap and drab. They look bad enough when they're brand new but get a bit of road grime on them and it's awful. I thought the same about the 890R. It's supposed to be a weapon but it exudes all the quality of a Chinese commuter bike.
They had a 2013 990 Superduke in there as well. In black and silver which was never my favourite colour scheme, but next to the current line up it looks like a real bike. It makes the nerves tingle to look at it. There's polished machined metal everywhere. It looks like a piece of hewn-from-solid engineering.
And next to the 890 was a 2019 Triumph Speed Triple R. Even with the fox eye headlights it was a country mile better looking than any of the KTMs. Deep shiny paint, red highlights, immaculately finished engine cases with machine polished edges, stainless fasteners, beautifully stitched seat etc. You'd open the garage door and think Yes!!. The KTMs look like office furniture that will fade and go brittle in the sun. It's like KTM have stopped caring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts