41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Then that could be a game changer, but you still have to mix oil 😔
Better that and know for sure the oil is getting where it is needed and not relying on 6 cheap sensors an "at best average" wiring loom thats probably chafing in a few areas, some cheap plugs, some very complicated control system that takes the info supplied by the 6 sensors and tells the known to fail oil pump how much oil to send to keep things within the very fine line of not seizing but keeping the emissions legal.

Thinking about it mixing oil is not that bad ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
If KTM published wet weights I bet the 250 EXC 4T would be near to 117kg

WR250F is with 7.5l fuel and 1l oil and 1l of coolant so 9.5kg worth weight

117-9.5 = 107.5kg

KTM 250 exc 4T is claimed at 103kg
2020 WR250F has 7.9l fuel capacity = 7.9l x 0.75 (specific density of gasoline) = 5.9 kg of fuel. So ready to race weight of the bike without fuel (as KTM quote) is 111 kg. KTM is 103 kg ready to race (its not its dry weight) so is a pretty reasonable 8 kg difference.

KTM has 9.2l tank, so this is 6.9 kg giving 250 EXC-F a fully fueled mass of 110 kg.

The KTM has a lithium ion battery Vs lead acid on the Yam, so may be an extra kg of weight saving for the Yam like-for-like.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Ive always liked Yams but 115kg is taking the piss . I had a chance to ride a 19 a little while ago and it was good but in the corners of an mx track i noticed the weight thats for sure compared to a excf 250. I dont know why they dont do a WR250 smoker cos I really loved my old YZ 250. As for ecu adjustments I dont think it would make any difference if I was looking for a new bike. Right now I would go for a Beta.
i did :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
im back :) since i last posted on here ( i think i was on the husky 300 tpi 2018) i have owned a 2018 wr 250 f which was a fantastic bike if you wanted to either race or trail ride , but not so good for play riding stuff ( cowm quarry still being my regular haunt) and then i swapped that for a 2018 beta 300rr racing. both bikes were as new and low hours and caused few problems ( beta didnt like water). anyway just last week i bought a new 300rr although i was tempted with a ktm as they are better value with 1k off. bottom line is all bikes are good these days but all need to be loved. as Zip said the new sherkys are good and fully loaded and ride absolutely superbly but my final decision to go beta again was based on my personal experience of the rideability , ease of maintenance, build quality, dealer backup ( lampkins are superb with any warranty stuff) and the fact that they do improve every year. the suspension now is almost of kyb quality and it can be ridden with confidence straight from the shop. over the last ten years if i remember right, i have had 4 excs ( 250 and 300) 1 husky tpi, 1 wr 250f, 1 wr 250 smoker and 3 beta 300s. all have been a pleasure to own and ride but all have little " issues". Pay your money, take your pick and enjoy it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
2020 WR250F has 7.9l fuel capacity = 7.9l x 0.75 (specific density of gasoline) = 5.9 kg of fuel. So ready to race weight of the bike without fuel (as KTM quote) is 111 kg. KTM is 103 kg ready to race (its not its dry weight) so is a pretty reasonable 8 kg difference.

KTM has 9.2l tank, so this is 6.9 kg giving 250 EXC-F a fully fueled mass of 110 kg.

The KTM has a lithium ion battery Vs lead acid on the Yam, so may be an extra kg of weight saving for the Yam like-for-like.
most people that buy new bikes stick an aftermarket pipe & lightweight more powerful battery anyway, i think the difference between yam & ktm is nearer 1.5 kgs. the extra weight of the better quality fixings & switch gear i reckon

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Considering I ride a 2t150 normally, I can confirm the WR250f does not feel heavy. Different but not heavy.

I’d be more interested if KTM have got rid of the weighty 4t front end feel and inertia that gives the illusion of more weight. Yamaha have.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Try a 350. No heavy front end or inertia as far as l was concerned.
Compared to a 150 everything will feel front heavy! But, yeah, the 350 I rode felt very light and agile but with Velcro like traction coming out of the corners.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That’s my point. The yam doesn’t. Feels like a 250/300 2t at worst.

The KTM 350 is nice. I’ve ridden them a few times but I’d not want to ride one in the twisties. Motor is very smooth though.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
That’s my point. The yam doesn’t. Feels like a 250/300 2t at worst.

The KTM 350 is nice. I’ve ridden them a few times but I’d not want to ride one in the twisties. Motor is very smooth though.
I liked the yam too but the engine was just missing that snap you get with a 250/300 (obviously). Personally, I'd pick the 350 but if you're happy to rev something then the yam is pretty awesome.

I think what we're saying is that all modern bikes are good enough for any of us.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts