KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2021 TPI and its got an extra on off switch on the handlebars. Seems a bit over the top to me.

Question is can I take it off? It seems to have three wires coming out of it. Can I just disconnect or do i have to join any of the wires?

Thanks in advance
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
9,663 Posts
Take it off and join the wires behind the headlight otherwise it wont run. I used mine as the basis of a hidden kill switch. Just change the switch for something a bit mors discrete. Usually not fitted at pdi and included in the bundle with indicators etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could leave it on and relocate somewhere else on the bars.
If you have to walk the bike on a very steep descent it is worth to turn into the off position...seen couple of chaps losing foot for a split of a second therefore the bike rolled downhill and the engine decided to "wake up" :oops: Could be sketchy if next to a big ditch or on top of a mountain.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That switch does come fitted in the UK (certainly from MY2020 onwards) but as part of the PDI / de-restricting by the dealer (and removing the cat, throttle stop, etc) it is normally also removed! On my last two bikes (2020 TPI and 2021 EXC-F) I've then moved the starter button to between the throttle and brake.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
What is it? Someone added a map / gay switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,663 Posts
That switch does come fitted in the UK (certainly from MY2020 onwards) but as part of the PDI / de-restricting by the dealer (and removing the cat, throttle stop, etc) it is normally also removed! On my last two bikes (2020 TPI and 2021 EXC-F) I've then moved the starter button to between the throttle and brake.
A-ha ..... all down to the scrutiny of whoever pdi's then!

·
Registered
693 Posts
A-ha ..... all down to the scrutiny of whoever pdi's then!
Its mounted from the factory. As TQRS says, the dealer usually removes it or ask the customer what he prefers. Im sure 9 out of 10 times, it goes off before leaving the dealer. No reason not to get rid of a potential source of error.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts