KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks

I'm contemplating getting myself another SDR in Spring '22 & have a reasonably good offer from my preferred dealer (Jim Aim MC's) for the track/performance packs and full Akra'.

Do we know if 2022 is seeing any upgrades from 2021 and what is the consensus now on the SDR RR?

Final question is for owners/riders with the full Akra & can you get on track OK?

Cheers

Mark

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know, but it really needs to me more wank than my previous 990 SDR, x2 1290SDR & 1290 SAS.

If KTM have gone and improved it for 2022 then that puts me right off!!

Registered
From what I gather, the Gen3 isn't as comfy as the Gen1/2, which was a reason you bought an SAS wasn't it? More weight on the wrists on the Gen3.
Neither R or RR with a full Akra will get you on a UK track.
Heard something about throttle response is too harsh on the roads with the RR.
Can't fit a tailpack to the RR.

So, they've built a track focused bike you can't fit a full exhaust system to, to uncork, genius.

But don't ask me, I'm frightened to test one in case I like it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct, but a year back I got myself a new 1250GS & that is my #1 road bike now. For track I have a '16 CBR600RR and that took over from my RSV4RF as the Aprilia was quite frankly too bloody fast for me!

I miss the instant hit from the SDR and in hindsight prefer the SDR on track, so why not get a Gen 3 I thought to myself.

I had full Akra's on my 1290's and did manage to get through noise testing although would carry a secondary baffle for the mid box just in case. I also re-packed my first system and ended up with a new one again somehow. The Akra map made such a huge difference, so I'd want to unlock the extra power otherwise the other option is a SFV4S I guess.

Registered
I鈥檝e tested one and it would be a fantastic track weapon, better than the gen 1/2 at holding a line, but you鈥檇 buy a sportsbike for that anyway so a bit weird actually to make a more track focussed road bike 馃槼

Harsh for the road in my view, suspension is firm, chassis more rigid, great on smooth tarmac. Its more Tuono like in ergos, and as Charlie says the full Akrapovic means no track days and it needs it as it felt way down on power to my modded gen 1

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I鈥檝e tested one and it would be a fantastic track weapon, better than the gen 1/2 at holding a line, but you鈥檇 buy a sportsbike for that anyway so a bit weird actually to make a more track focussed road bike 馃槼

Harsh for the road in my view, suspension is firm, chassis more rigid, great on smooth tarmac. Its more Tuono like in ergos, and as Charlie says the full Akrapovic means no track days and it needs it as it felt way down on power to my modded gen 1
Interesting, thx.

My little 600 is a great track bike for sure, but (& it's a big but) I really miss that pull out of corners with the TC keeping it all in order. Very different bikes I know and characteristics.

It may get the occasional road ride, but certainly nothing like my previous x2 SDRs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure this bit sank in. You can get on UK track days with full akra on Gen1 and 2, BUT NOT Gen 3.
I don't know how loud the Gen 3 full Akra is seeing as it's a different routing & yes on my others I got through (just).

The noise gestapo are hot at UK track days and circuits differ too just to add to the entertainment.

Premium Member
I don't know how loud the Gen 3 full Akra is seeing as it's a different routing & yes on my others I got through (just).

The noise gestapo are hot at UK track days and circuits differ too just to add to the entertainment.
Measurements are different from track to track too, I got 6dB difference between Cadwell and Brands this year, same bike with same exhaust. Basically it passed no problems in Cadwell and failed at Brands

Registered
KTM Superduke RR , KTM Duke 690.
From what I gather, the Gen3 isn't as comfy as the Gen1/2, which was a reason you bought an SAS wasn't it? More weight on the wrists on the Gen3.
Neither R or RR with a full Akra will get you on a UK track.
Heard something about throttle response is too harsh on the roads with the RR.
Can't fit a tailpack to the RR.

So, they've built a track focused bike you can't fit a full exhaust system to, to uncork, genius.

But don't ask me, I'm frightened to test one in case I like it.
My tuppence worth is I prefer my RR to the '20 Gen3 that I had, think of it being like the original SDR with the single seat. As for the throttle,I like it and can have it more direct if you choose Track. My preference is Performance with Track throttle. They also seem to have done something with the torque/power as 6th gear is no longer laboured at lower speeds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Measurements are different from track to track too, I got 6dB difference between Cadwell and Brands this year, same bike with same exhaust. Basically it passed no problems in Cadwell and failed at Brands
Yep, that's one of the challenges and for sure Cadwell are more relaxed. I pinged the meter @ Donington on my RS 250 a few weeks ago and the marshall 'had a word' as I came back down pit lane at the end of the session and advised I short shifted around the pit entrance for the next session!!

No 2 meters are the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My tuppence worth is I prefer my RR to the '20 Gen3 that I had, think of it being like the original SDR with the single seat. As for the throttle, I like it and can have it more direct if you choose Track. My preference is Performance with Track throttle. They also seem to have done something with the torque/power as 6th gear is no longer laboured at lower speeds.
Do you have the full system or just the can? Does the RR have a tweaked map? Are you running a 16T front sprocket?

I have been advised there may be more in 2022, so I've put my cock on the block and put my name on one!

Registered
On one of the facebook forums someone had a link pipe made (I think they are for sale at about 拢80) that replaces the small can of the full Akra system and allows you to fit a bigger end can for UK track days.

Registered
KTM Superduke RR , KTM Duke 690.
Do you have the full system or just the can? Does the RR have a tweaked map? Are you running a 16T front sprocket?

I have been advised there may be more in 2022, so I've put my cock on the block and put my name on one!
I swapped the big ugly Akra for an Arrow pro race Ti as in my avatar, other than that my bike is a standard RR.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
Try a ZH2 this one seems to be doing ok around Donnington on Rosso III's and a few sussy upgrades and look at 2.53 on vid ;)
All that show's is some people have more talent than others. Was that you bigtree 馃槈馃槈?
At 8.33 he was passed at the end of the fastest part of the track by an R6 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

1 - 20 of 47 Posts