KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a few YouTube videos where people are adding an additional total loss battery in parallel giving 24v to "cure" the notoriously shit starter. Not seen any comments on here, anyone tried this?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Personally I think just doing the wet mod and sticking a battery with more CCA is good enough, oh and maybe running an extra earth lead from the battery down to the starter. Obviously the actual starter need to be in good condition too! You can fit a bigger battery in the standard battery holder.

Here is a post on batteries, early on in the thread I did quote a battery number that will not fit so be careful!

Cold Cranking Amps. EXC 300 | KTM Owners Forum (ktmforum.co.uk)

I also messed about with re-timing the magnets on the actual starter and that seemed to help too, there is an old thread kicking about which covers this.....

Re-timing the starter motor for more low down torque | KTM Owners Forum (ktmforum.co.uk)

I run a high compression head and after doing a load of work on the starter setup my starter works very well, it will start the engine from stone cold but I'm trying to form a habit of kicking it over on the first start of the day.

But to answer your question with what I think, basically I would find it annoying having to mess about with an extra battery.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
You need to make sure everything in the starter system is perfect...

Have you shimmed the idler gear, all 4 bushes in good condition (the solid bushes are a good upgrade),. the needle bearings in the starter need some TLC too

As Bod said, check and add an earth if needed etc

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've generally kept on top of maintaining the system but getting a bit fed up with the amount of tlc it needs to keep it operational. Think I might try the wet mod to try and extend the time between maintenance.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The wet mod will help with reducing the amount of maintence that you need to do, you need to block off the drain hole at the bottom and run a breather tube out of the grommet at the top. I put in 50cc of 'any-old' light weight oil. I must admit that on my bike water still gets into the area from somewhere or other despite my best efforts to seal the gasket face up, the result is that the oil ends up being emulsified, it still helps even in this state and nothing seems to get rusty so I'm ok with this.

Reactions: stumo

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I know the 24v mod as some guys with 2018 to 2019 GasGas (pre-KTM) also do it because the Gasser has a similar starting system. I think it is even worse. However, personally I would not do it and I would not do the wet mod either.

On my 2015 300 EXC, same engine and same shitty starting system it worked flawless from day one to its last day (150 hrs). Maybe worth to mention that I serviced the system every 30 to 40 hours, meaning 4 new bushings, checking the crown wheel gap, cleaning and greasing everything (except the bend which shouldn't be greased) and so on. I run a high capacity battery and never had trouble. The only thing I always did and still do on my 19 GasGas is kick starting it once when the engine is cold, then use the button for the rest of the day.

If you are a lazy bastard then the wet mod may help, as SCB said already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Decided I was lazy so have done the wet mod. Any advice on how much atf to add? I see slavens video said 120ml initially then his comments seem to suggest less?

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
Take it you did the vent mod as well (you need to)? ........ on mine l ran the new vent pipe up from case grommet, along frame and into airbox. If memory serves, l put in about 200ml and it spunked some out of the breather - if you put too much in, the vent basically allows it to find its own level. Without the vent mod, l reckon any amount of oil would blow through the grommet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I ran the vent up under the tank and looped to point down next to the coil if that make sense. Bendix seems to engage more often now, not tried a hot start yet but it won't do a cold start (but didn't expect it to tbh).
Might try a few more tweaks like the extra earth cable.
Bendix and bushings all in good shape upon strip down. Got a ytz7 130cc battery as well. Still tempted with the 24v mod as it looks quite simple

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Decided I was lazy so have done the wet mod. Any advice on how much atf to add? I see slavens video said 120ml initially then his comments seem to suggest less?

I only add 50cc of oil, that's more than enough to keep everything lubed up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts