KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm fairly new to bikes and have only done chassis work before now e.g.. suspension, tyres, air, oil etc. and no electrics so please bear with me.

Tried to start this morning after a week of no use (worked fine last time I took it out and didn't go out in wet) and electric start did nothing, no turn over just a click when I pressed it. Checked connections all good so battery appeared to be dead. Bit unusual after just a week so made me think something was draining battery. Plugged in CTEK charger and it showed at level 1 so confirmed battery was flat. Charged overnight to level 5. Disconnected charger. Tried again, starter now turns overs but engine doesn't fire and after a minute or two trying seems to go flat again. Plug in charger and level is 1 or 2. Have tried kick starting but haven't got it to start. Spark plug is new but more concerned the battery seems to drain quickly. Do I need a new battery or could something be draining it?

Cheers,

Al

·
Premium Member
31,399 Posts
Jump it off a car or another bike.

Sounds like the battery is dying.

If it's not spinning fast enough the engine wont fire. Dont touch the throttle while attempting to start it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jump it off a car or another bike.

Sounds like the battery is dying.

If it's not spinning fast enough the engine wont fire. Dont touch the throttle while attempting to start it.

Thanks. I just tried starting again while on a second charge (Level 3) and it started no problem. Then tried another two times and started no problem, which is annoying because now I don't really know what the problem is......why didn't it start after charging overnight? Maybe I'll get a new battery.

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts