KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to fit the 250f XC 2014 with a full compliment of lights etc to make it road legal. Not indicators.
Is the alternator big enough?
Is there a kit available?

Cheers Lark09

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I thought Trailtech made one, there was a guy on here UKAF who sent me some wiring bits for my XCF.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I bought, an excf 250 wiring loom (£40) a couple of cheap hydraulic brake light switches (£10 each) acerbis Ktm switchgear (£30) a horn (£10) a cheap Chinese (Ktm copy £30) headlight and a rear stop and tail light (£10).
I took the live from the yellow wire feed on the bikes loom, look under the rear of the tank.
Bobs your uncle, sorry or aunt, gender equality and all that....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that but is there sufficient power from the alternator to run the lights etc, or do you need the exc alternator?
Do the lights run on dc or ac like the older bikes?

Cheers lark

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am doing something similar with a partial modded 07 250 XC fw which had a kit fitted ( not forks) It’s had some bits changed but not the loom as it’s unobtainium and had a daylight mot with “lights removed” so I am trying to get around that. I haven’t checked your diagram but you could check the online parts diagrams etc from suppliers for same number stator.

If you can read the wiring diagram and have time( these days😂) you can plan the wires.

I am aiming for no flashers operable lights horn and kill ( new switch). Not sure if the number plate light would be a problem

It has 2 coils rectifying to dc and one drives (ac) the lights front and back on the xcf

The front brake switch cannot be sourced apart from expensively ( looks like the switch is an OEM special but the rear seems alright

You need some wiring bits connectors plugs sleeves etc which are a faff and I am going to make up eBay plugs not use nasty bullet connectors

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thanks for that but is there sufficient power from the alternator to run the lights etc, or do you need the exc alternator?
Do the lights run on dc or ac like the older bikes?

Cheers lark
yes all worked fine, I’ve done a 2018 XCF250 and a 2019 XCF350, they we’re AC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve got a 2012 300 xc which has had lights and horn fitted. I bought it done but only had an on off switch, no dip and main beam it’s always on dip. No issues with the mot, apparently some mopeds are wired this way. Since then I’ve just linked the yellow feed straight to the lights without the switch as I didn’t really see the need for it. Lights come on when it fires up and off when it stops. Has banjo pressure switches for the brake light which are wired off the fan connector under the tank so they’re always live (work with the bike off)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good to know - I was just looking up the dip bit - not sure if I need to mask the main light but I suppose a lot of it goes on tester interpretation.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I understand correctly there is enough power output from the alternator to power lights ?
What does the alternator output in watts?
Would that stretch to a rad fan as well?

Cheers Lark09

·
Registered
73 Posts
According to my moter he said I only need dip beam, rear and brake light along with a horn for a “full” mot. Plus when my bike falls over (which it does a lot, think it’s faulty) there’s less to break off ;)

mines a 2 stroke but I’m not sure if the 4 stroke stators have the same output as an exc?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure if same coils but think the fan would be dc not ac so out of rectifier/battery so some latitude if it doesnt run much.

Dont need indicators for off road bikes I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts