KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a 2008 250f for a couple of years, the best bike I have ever owned. My son wanted a bike so I treated myself to a brand new factory 250 on April 2nd. It has been a real dog of a bike. When accelerating through the mid range the bike bogs down. Sent back to dealer who kept the bike for a week. Picked it up on Saturday, it seemed better. Today the bike is improved, needle height lowered, and carb cleaned. I have put an iridium plug in it, but it still has a bogging issue. The bike is nowhere near the 2008 model. Is this a common problem, is it cos the engine is still tight? Lost faith in the dealer, any suggestions gratefully received.

·
Premium Member
31,406 Posts
You need to buy and fit the following KTM parts:
54531623175 MAIN JET 175 KEIHIN £6.72
54631085050 JET POWER JET 50 KEIHIN £7.62
57331034100 JET NEEDLE KEIHIN OBEKP £15.78

set the clip in the 4th slot from top on the needle.

Lockwire the accelerator pump linkage so it does not delay.

Turn the accelerator linkage adjuster screw 1/4 anticlockwise.

Will be bang on then :)

Or send the carb to me and I will set it up for you :)

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
alright mark, not something silly like a restricted exhaust or something like that is it? wouldnt think the engine is still tight. I only had one 250f and It was such a pain in the arse to ride I sold it after a couple of hours! did have a CCM604 ('slightly' different I know!) a couple of years ago that I re-jetted myself, lot of trial and error but had it running nice after a few attempts! hope this is some help?!

^^^or do what Kev suggests, better than my hit, miss or maybe methodology!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kev I will order them up and give it a go. I will post if I get into problems, if that is ok.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good on you Kev for offering to help the guy out. I had the same problem, I thought i had bought a pile of crap, I fitted a JD jetting kit and it was bang on, plug caps can be dodgy through vibration. I ended up fitting an Akra, now it's sorted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Worked for me

As soon as I got my new 2011 250 EXC-F I made the carb changes recommended by Kev. Needless to say he was bang on & have never suffered from bogging/flatspots. The bike is Awsome & glad I took the advice of guy's on here when deciding to go 250/450 for hair n hounds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Work in progress

Kev,
I have surprised myself by successfully removing the carb and installing the jets. I am however confused by what I have to lock wire, and which screw I am adjusting. I have the plastic linkage cover off, can you point me in the right direction from there.

Sorry to be so mechanically challenged!

·
Premium Member
31,406 Posts
Under the plastic cover there is a screw that compresses a spring, it may have a dab of paint on it. Move that screw 1/4 turn anticlockwise.

Now look at the plastic linkage that the point of the screw touches. The lockwire has to go around both the spring part of the screw and the plastic part so they always move together. It can be done with a single loop.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for the info in this thread, in particular from Kevinyorks ..

Ive ordered the parts mentioned for my 2011 250 exc-f but wondered if anyone can explain what the change to the accelerator pump is for please? Seems odd that we are changing something that *should* be designed correctly, so would be nice to know why I am changing it before letting my fat fingers do any damage

cheers

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just took bike for first run after making the changes advised in this thread ...
Cant believe the difference !!

Its pulls cleanly right through the rev range now with no lag or bogging.
Feels real crisp off the bottom which is exactly what I wanted

Thanks for the spot on advice, its completely changed the bike :D

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I got the jets etc from Kev, excellent cant thank him enough, now got 2012 250 so no jets needed :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
i just walked away from buying a 2011 250 f due to this bogging (that and the guy was a [email protected]$) how do KTM get away with selling a bike that rides so bad.
Its not really a big problem if you have the info to jet it properly is it? My bike runs great now.

I think the poor jetting from the factory has been reasonably common over the years will various makes of bike.
The WR400 I bought when they were released ran like a pilt of shit when I bought it

Maybe they try too hard to comply with emissions?

Go and buy the 2011 250f - you'll love it if you spend 25 quid and half an hour jetting it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts