KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2017 300 EXC which won't start. I've had it from new and only has 4 hours on it due to injury and work / kids etc. Its been sitting unused for a couple of years. I started it the other day (first kick) but wasn't running well, poping and banging I then realised the oil had separated from the fuel as it had been sitting that long. I drained the tank, cleaned the carb and put some fresh fuel in. Now it won't start, I've got fuel, air and spark, any ideas??

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Might have fouled the plug? Remove it and blast brake cleaner or neat fuel up in the recess around the ceramic section. Double check the pilot is really clean. Fit a fuel filter to until you know there’s no more old crap migrating through.

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Flooded through repeated starting attempts? Remove plug, put rag over plug hole and kick over till excess fuel is out (shield plug cap so you dont start a fire)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Put a new plug in, still won’t fire. Tilted the carb and removed float bowl drain plug to check the jets and no fuel came out, should the bowl not have fuel in it after turning it over?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The fuel tap has a built in mesh filter. That's probably gummed up. Remove it carefully to protect the gaskets and clean it thoroughly.
Try filling the carb manually via the fuel pipe and try it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should the fuel flow out the bottom of the float bowl when the drain plug is off and tap is open?

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
Turn petrol on. Wait 10 secs. Undo float bowl drain. Petrol should come out. If not, the float or valve is sus.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
You say you cleaned the carb? have you put the floats back in correctly or some problem with the shut off valve, sounds like the valve is not letting fuel in to the carb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The float valve was gummed up ! I must have forgotten to clean it out. 🤦‍♂️ I don't understand how the plug was damp if there was no fuel getting through though. Anyway she's running sweet now. Thanks for the help (y)(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts