KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’ve got a new to me 2012 300XC. Only been out on it a few times but the clutch doesn’t seam to disengage properly. I’ve back bled it which has made it better but it only seams to do anything 10-15mm from the bars, I’d like it to disengage further from the bars! I’ve played with adjusters on the levers (asv copy’s by the look of it) but not had any luck. Is there anything I can check for wear or adjust?
Cheers, Si

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I've had no end of issues with my KTM 300 EXC clutch (2013). Not sure if your clutch is is a DDS clutch or not.

I'll try to find some of my posts/threads and link them to this thread. (They don't make for 'nice' reading, as in what ended up doing was not 'normal' or 'simple' but I was driven to it and at the end of my tether!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll a look at what I can find of yours, but on a 2012 I believe it’s not a DDS

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Here is a thread, it runs over a period of time, I thought that using Nano oil fixed the issue but in the end I went several stages further, read post number 28. Whether the clutch is DDS or not might not actually matter, I don't know. I guess you should check all of the simple stuff first like warped plates, that sort of thing.

I actually have a 'love/hate' thing with my KTM, I've had loads of issues which makes me hate KTM, I will never own another one, having said that I like my 300 EXC and will never sell it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lever throw could be the issue I guess. I don’t have an issue with drag, just where the clutch seams to activate on the lever travel if that makes sense?!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
In that case you could just modify the lever so that the adjuster has more range, you can do this by filing the lever so that the adjuster has more travel, this would push the lever further away from the handlebars which means that the clutch will disengage earlier in the levers travel. (The down side being that the 'at rest' position will be further from the bars).

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I’d say try a stock lever first. You might find it’s just the lever type and nothing else....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update this, I’ve had a play about with the lever, seams it may have been missing a bush so was a bit slack. Made one up and put the bolt for the throw in the other way to get the lever in a decent position and re bled the clutch. Seams better but I’m off to Keynsham Funduro tomorrow so will give it a proper test. 🤞

1 - 8 of 8 Posts