KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Personally I would rather buy good used Braking or KTM discs and a KTM or Talon bracket.

The Chinese make things that look very similar to decent stuff on a photo, but materials and tolerances are not same as the original.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i know people who have used these "chinese discs" on sports bikes,mixed reviews some people say no problems others have reported cracking and warping after a few 100 miles

personally with something like brakes id rather spend the extra on for piece of mind

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
i know people who have used these "chinese discs" on sports bikes,mixed reviews some people say no problems others have reported cracking and warping after a few 100 miles

personally with something like brakes id rather spend the extra on for piece of mind
Having gone through 3 genuine KTM front discs on my 690 in four years I can confidently say that the genuine KTM parts are made of what seems to be cheese - possibly a French cheese like Brie?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Bet Chinese cheese is nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
209 Posts
why scrimp on the cost of a brake disk. buy a known brand with the knowledge it wont crack or warp. chineese metal is well know for its untraceable standards.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The quality of these copies have got alot better in recent years, to the point where parts such as Brembo copy master cylinders can actually use Brembo parts to fit....so I hear and read. BUT there's a difference between a 'non' critical part failing (cheap hand guard, rad hose maybe) and a major part in the going fast/slowing down procedure going a bollock.....
For the sake of a few quid I'd rather have a part that's made for the job not just to look the part.....

·
Registered
505 Posts
is like that annoying thing you used to do at school by repeating whatever someone says back again.
I work with a bloke who does exactly that! As he's a thick twat I have to explain everything very thoroughly so he can stand a chance on actually learning something, 10 minutes later he'll repeat it all back like I'm the one learning!!!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Having gone through 3 genuine KTM front discs on my 690 in four years I can confidently say that the genuine KTM parts are made of what seems to be cheese - possibly a French cheese like Brie?
No idea how you went through 3 discs, and they are brembo, not KTM made, and I have used them for trackdays, races, destroyed pads, nose whelied from 100mph and replaced it at 45k miles when it was something like 3mm thick.

On the subject: I have seen some that have a steel carrier NOT alu, and this listing doesnt mention anywhere that it is aluminium. If it is aluminium, all the floating chinese rotors I have seen, get some serious play at the rivets.

Much better to get a used one

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
No idea how you went through 3 discs, and they are brembo, not KTM made, and I have used them for trackdays, races, destroyed pads, nose whelied from 100mph and replaced it at 45k miles when it was something like 3mm thick.

On the subject: I have seen some that have a steel carrier NOT alu, and this listing doesnt mention anywhere that it is aluminium. If it is aluminium, all the floating chinese rotors I have seen, get some serious play at the rivets.

Much better to get a used one
I'm well aware that KTM don't make these sub-standard discs - but the front disc on a 690 smc surely cannot be a top of the range Brembo disc? More likely it is a 'budget' or 'entry-level' model specially produced to compete with far eastern producers?

·
Registered
52 Posts

i've heard the same from a few people & my fiancee has worked in the bike trade for years (very handy ;0) ) & used to manage a service/garage at a bike dealers as well as parts dept , she told me there were alot of reports about Chinese disks warpping & cracking , best to shell out the extra cash

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
The difference in price is tempting and the choice is yours

The KTM product is tried, tested, and you know it will work.

Feel free to give the Chinese option a go. If it works come back and tell us. If it doesn't I am sure we'll all visit you in hospital...................

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The difference in price is tempting and the choice is yours

The KTM product is tried, tested, and you know it will work. ............
I'll totally disagree with you on your statement - If 3 original KTM discs, all official parts, fitted at the factory and in an KTM dealer's workshop, by KTM trained technicians cannot survive 4 years of normal road usage without warping so badly they would fail an MOT - then they are clearly not fit for purpose. Funnily enough the official KTM dealer also admitted he had changed a number of other front discs under warranty - not a sign of a quality product I would suggest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts