KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My 2015 6 days 350 is up to 200 hours now, just use it for laning, don't ride mega fast, the odd fast blast now and then. Hardest use the engine probably gets is the road work between lanes if hitting 60mph.
So I'm tempted to get the piston changed, or at least looked at. Had a price from eurotek for doing it, and just the piston kit.
I'm no muppet, and quite happy to do it myself, but also like the idea of an expert casting an eye over my engine as I'm sure they'd be more likely to spot any potential problems. Also, anything I see that I might think is an issue may well be dismissed as perfectly fine by someone who knows them inside out.
One question, never changed a piston in summat like this before, should the barrel be honed when fitting a new one, or would they likely just chuck it straight in?

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
You dont hone the barrel no , i doubt your piston needs changing at all but do it if you feel you should , if you aint done a 4t before then find a friend who has and get him to help you , or if your happy to pay then give it to KIY or or endurotek etc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, I just don't want to let it get to the point of the teflon pads on the skirt being worn away, would rather do it a tad early than risk cylinder damage. Done the shims myself on it so quite happy with getting the cams out and retiming it etc. I know you hear of folk going to 300 hours, even more, on the original, but then who knows what the engine is like internally. Believe one bloke was bragging of such a thing at a rally this year, then it went pop lol! Don't plan on getting shut of it anytime soon, so would rather keep the chance of any long term problems to a minimum.
If there's no honing required, I might well do it myself. But then again i could better use the time it's away stripping the full bike down, deserves a bit of tlc after 200 hours and 5000 miles in 18 months!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
always best to change if you think,a friend lunched a 170 hours 400 engine,it went with no warning at all,split the barrel and pretty much totaled the engine.if in doubt change it out

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Interesting thread as my 15 350 is at 150 hours now and gets the same kind of use that you've described. I've been thinking about checking the piston but don't really want to strip the motor if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was the same, a mate of mine was on a 2013 model 350, but 50 hours in front of me. He was my safety net lol, thought if his shits it's pants then it was time to get mine done. Bugger's gone and swopped it for a new 500!
I'll be surprised if it's not worth leaving in to be honest, but once yer in there might as well change it. At least I'll know where the goalposts are for next time with the use it gets from me.
£320 fitted to the engine if I take it in, or about £420 all done for me.
Cheaper than a cylinder!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just under £200 for genuine piston kit from eurotek with forum discount. Dunno if I'd want to use anything else. Do vertex still supply ktm's oe pistons, or is it someone else these days?
Wish someone would make a proper type piston you could transplant that'd last as long as an xr400 one lol

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You dont hone the barrel no , i doubt your piston needs changing at all but do it if you feel you should , if you aint done a 4t before then find a friend who has and get him to help you , or if your happy to pay then give it to KIY or or endurotek etc
I disagree at 210 hours my teflons were almost totally gone, of course it will go on for another 100 hours at least self honing the bore, I do a few hare and hounds slowly and some rally's. I got mine done by AMS for what I thought was a very reasonable cost, plus the paperwork was handy when i sold it, as the new owner new piston done and done well. In fact this outweighted any saving from DIY in my opinion, of course if you plan on keeping bike for long time of no value at all! and yes all dealers will not stint on telling you of more work that needs to be done!!!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ah ok. I was just guesstimating, hadn't actually priced one up yet. 320 not bad at all then really.
think i was ~ £100 on top of kit, bike taken in to stealers, no prep at all except a clean! I told them not to do oil, filters etc as I did them as soon as it came home because I am tighter than a nats chuff!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
Didn't end up doing mine, simply as I sold the bike, barely ridden since august due to injury.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts