KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So iv just got my first KTM and im really happy with how clean the bike is concidering it 8yrs old. I was out riding the other day and the speedo stopped working and it was displaying zero MPH, everything else seems to work ok and iv even changed the internal battery to make sure this wasnt the issue. I have also checked for continuity through the cable from the Dash to the front wheel sensor and all is good. The magnet is still in place so it cant be that but its as if the sensor is not working as the dash goes out after a few seconds of me pushing any buttom on the dash regardless if im riding or stationary. Can anyone shed any light on my issue? Can the sensor fail? Im hoping its not a dash fault as every other function works fine.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey guys,

So iv just got my first KTM and im really happy with how clean the bike is concidering it 8yrs old. I was out riding the other day and the speedo stopped working and it was displaying zero MPH, everything else seems to work ok and iv even changed the internal battery to make sure this wasnt the issue. I have also checked for continuity through the cable from the Dash to the front wheel sensor and all is good. The magnet is still in place so it cant be that but its as if the sensor is not working as the dash goes out after a few seconds of me pushing any buttom on the dash regardless if im riding or stationary. Can anyone shed any light on my issue? Can the sensor fail? Im hoping its not a dash fault as every other function works fine.

Many thanks in advance
I had the sensor fail on my excf and your describing the same fault . I would go for that first and recon that will fix it . You could borrow one off someone if your worried abut the cost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have found issues belong the the electrical connections and the sensor.
To diagnose, i start with the connection from the sensor to the main cable.

If you disconnect that, there are two pins going up to the speedo. by momentarily bridging these the speedo should come alive. this confirms everything upwards is ok. If not, then check the cables for continuity.

To test the sensor, which is a reed switch, I push 2 pieces of wire into the female terminals of the plug and attach multimeter clamps. Spin the wheel and there should be a change of resistance - open and closed circuit. That tells that the sensor, cable and magnet are ok.

Once all working make sure to protect the cable between its exit from the sensor and past the caliper

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts