KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously tempted to replace my Honda CRF250L with the forthcoming KTM390 Adventure. Twice the power, a little heavier but lower seat height and far superior fuel range. For the type of riding I do the 19' front wheel is perfect and the ground clearance is more than adequate despite what most critics say. More bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What "type of riding" is that?

19" is good on the road, and better than a 17" in the dirt.

Anything is lighter and more powerful than the CRF ;-) I had a DRZ400S and a mate had a CRF250L, the DRZ was the same weight but with nearly twice the power, pity they did not continue to develop and sell the DRZ in Europe, it was a cracking road / trail bike.

I swapped to an Enduro as there are few lanes near me and the DRZ was doing more miles on a trailer, so made sense for me to go full on dirt bike, the difference between the 140KG DRZ and the 100KG Husky FE350 is very noticeable when the going gets tough.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What "type of riding" is that?

19" is good on the road, and better than a 17" in the dirt.

Anything is lighter and more powerful than the CRF ;-) I had a DRZ400S and a mate had a CRF250L, the DRZ was the same weight but with nearly twice the power, pity they did not continue to develop and sell the DRZ in Europe, it was a cracking road / trail bike.

I swapped to an Enduro as there are few lanes near me and the DRZ was doing more miles on a trailer, so made sense for me to go full on dirt bike, the difference between the 140KG DRZ and the 100KG Husky FE350 is very noticeable when the going gets tough.
I want a lightweight road bike capable for riding the occasional green lane and long trips. 19" front wheel is good compromise. An enduro bike would definitely not suit.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It might be about right, I have ridden the 390 Duke (Loaner for a day) and was surprised how well it went, and it was insanely light and agile after the 1290, makes the 790 Duke feel like a porker.

For that use I personally would consider the 690 KTM (About the same weight as the CRF250L) if only doing day trips or the 790 if I planned to go touring or, (sorry to swear) the Yamaha Tenere 700, although obviosuly that is upping the budget a LOT.

IF I had decent trails close to home I would want a 500 Enduro (Huky or KTM) The Americans use these as "Dual Sport" bikes a lot and it seems they can clock up 20,000+ miles before anything major needs touching (Road / Lane use is so much more gentle than racing so the piston replacement schedules go out the window)

The biggest downside of Enduro machines is the theft risk, I wont venture more than about 50m from the Husky (and never leave it out of sight) as even with a small alarmed disc lock on it two scumbags could lift it onto a van within 30 seconds, or follow you home and smash into your garage in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think this little bike will be excellent I have owned a 390 Duke and the engine is a peach more than enough go to keep you entertained...I would think it would be good for a bit of light dry off-road obviously not as good as the crf but far superior for distance on the tar it's well priced too..I'm Keen for a spin on ones

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this little bike will be excellent I have owned a 390 Duke and the engine is a peach more than enough go to keep you entertained...I would think it would be good for a bit of light dry off-road obviously not as good as the crf but far superior for distance on the tar it's well priced too..I'm Keen for a spin on ones
At £800 more than the CRF250L (£4700) I think the 390 Adventure (£5500) will be good value for money. Made in India keeps the price down.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Well for a complete left field answer, have a good look at the royal Enfield Himalayan, cheap reliable, so semi fit bird flee to India, bought one and did 10000miles on it., Plenty of reviews about their reasonable off road ability

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Royal Enfield Himalayan is not in the same league as the KTM 390 Adventure. It's heavier, half the power and very basic. Granted it is cheaper but the only thing the bikes have in common is that they are both made in India.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is there not going to be a 490 also?
Being a new model I suspect KTM won't rush to do any updates for a while. I imagine the 373.2cc engine can't be increased by much, certainly nowhere in the region of 490 that you surmise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up Dansin.

I think the new 390 Adventure will suit my needs and budget very well. I have my name down for a test ride as soon as one is available at my local KTM dealer. Can't wait (but I guess I will have to!!). Might be February unless anyone has a more definitive date.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am rather concerned that the new Indian made KTM 390 Adventure will have a inferior standard of finish compared to KTMs that are manufactured in Austria. I would like it to use it all year round but have no wish to see it turn into a pile of rust after a few winter months. What other KTMs are made in India, if so, what experiences have others had regarding quality?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well... the 790 Adventure was suppose to be moved to India for it's 2nd year of manufacture, so that should be happening soon.
BMW use India too. I suspect the G310 GS is made there as the small capacity bikes are mainly for their market.
Also the new F900 R & XR's engine is made in India... so BMW has some trust in the manufacturing out there...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I am rather concerned that the new Indian made KTM 390 Adventure will have a inferior standard of finish compared to KTMs that are manufactured in Austria. I would like it to use it all year round but have no wish to see it turn into a pile of rust after a few winter months.
I bought a <2 year old 3000 mile Honda CB500X as a commuter, the forks and disc carriers were rusty and lots of the little brackets holding bits and pieces on were completely rusted - asked about warranty claim and told to piss off....

... how much worse can the KTM be?

I would just cover it in ACF50 2-3 times a year, get a cheap compressor and paint gun to really do the job properly and get it into every nook and crannie and it should hold up very well, this is how I traeted my old commuter (V-Strom 650) and it had less corrosion at 13 years old and 45000 miles than the Honda - and all of that was already there when I bought it at 28k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the 390’s have been made in India. Can’t say I’ve noticed any particular rust issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The KTM 390 Adventure has been released in India and there are a shed load of reviews on YouTube with most in English. Most of the criticism is related to it's suspension although it might be less of an issue here in the UK since it will come here with adjustable suspension.

Since the profit margins of KTMs sold in the UK are considerably higher than in India I'm surprised that the 390 Adventure is not already on sale here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts