KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow orange people

I have a question regarding vibration.

I have spent most of my miles on rice burners so if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate your advice.

My 2020 SDR feels like I would expect it to feel every where in the rev range.. except.. it shakes my fillings at a little over 4000 RPM until it smooths out around 5000.

It becomes more apparent with each higher gear, I almost never get into 6th, 5th and 5000 RPM is smooth jogging along...

is this cool???

·
Administrator
9,149 Posts
I will get shot down in flames for this comment by the others, but mine was like this under hard acceleration until I got my suspension sorted.

It would make my glasses vibrate making it hard to see. All sorted now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yeah it does chug a bit at 4K rpm, the easy answer is use a lower gear! Aside from that fitting a 16T front sprocket raises the revs you use at any given speed v standard which also helps. As for vibes through the bars, not an issue but I do have KTM bar end mirrors fitted that add a bit of weight which probably helps.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I had a lot of vibration on my first KTM RC8R
It was down to the front wheel out of Balance from the Factory :poop:took the wheel off re balanced it, they had put the weights on the heaviest 🏋️‍♀️part of the wheel was great after that :giggle:

·
Administrator
9,149 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have spent most of my miles on rice burners so if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate your advice.

My 2020 SDR feels like I would expect it to feel every where in the rev range.. except.. it shakes my fillings at a little over 4000 RPM until it smooths out around 5000.

It becomes more apparent with each higher gear, I almost never get into 6th, 5th and 5000 RPM is smooth jogging along...

is this cool???
I had a 4 cylinder Kawasaki prior to my SDR2020, and the first few long journeys left my hands feeling like they were still vibrating after getting off the thing.
Not as bad now, which is prob a combination of getting used to the extra vibration you get from it (vs a 4cylinder) and the different gearing (as others say). You have to be in a lower gear from normal - I rarely ever use 6th. It’s just getting used to it & not being in the gear you’d normally be in on the old bike (which will just come naturally as you adjust).
My old bike could cruise in 6th at 40mph, and my SDR feels like it needs to be over 70mph to get into 6th. If you have the same sort of thing it prob needs a bit of riding to get your head to adjust to what gear you should be in, otherwise you’ll be shaking yourself to pieces.
I went from a Ducati to the Kawasaki & couldn’t believe how smooth it was, and the ease it smoothly dealt with low revs - now it’s back to the opposite way round.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts

is this cool???
How many miles on it? My gen 2 was like that when it was new, I put a 16t sprocket on which helped but I still didn’t like 6th gear.
However as I’ve put more miles on it it’s got smoother and can now take more throttle at low revs without complaining and I find myself braapping about in top gear.
Should mention the full system and Akra map too but I’m sure the miles have made the biggest difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replys, I'm reassured it's nothing to worry about... just me getting used to the characteristics of the V.
Cheers

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Us too, I guess BigDaddyAdz didn't wear them at school. We also called them 4 eyes, frog eyes, ginger nut (as they were always that as well). But we were kind and didn't call it to the ones whose glasses were that translucent pale blue. As they were always psycho's from the council houses who'd chase you with anything they could injure you with and they general smelt so we stayed away from them.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Us too, I guess BigDaddyAdz didn't wear them at school. We also called them 4 eyes, frog eyes, ginger nut (as they were always that as well). But we were kind and didn't call it to the ones whose glasses were that translucent pale blue. As they were always psycho's from the council houses who'd chase you with anything they could injure you with and they general smelt so we stayed away from them.
Which school did U go to Grange Hill 🤓👨‍🎓

1 - 20 of 29 Posts