KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

this being my first post please break me in gently, I am new to the world of off road riding, or in my case off road dirt eating and bike breaking. the problem i have is my bike wont start, its leccy start and does spark, it is getting fuel and have tried a new stater, when you try to start it the bike seems to send fire through the carb which has resulted in a scorched air filter.
The problem started after I took of the carb to clean it (i used proper carb cleaner for this). When i put the carb back on it started but ran sluggishly, when i took it for a spin around the block it went but ran like poo. When i got home I left it for an hour then tried to start it again, to my amazement it wouldnt go.
I then baught a new plug and plug cap changed those and it started mint, left it for a day took it for a spin and it was poo again, now it wont start. when starting it does shoot flames from the airbox, is this normal I presume it isnt and could it be a timing issue, appologies for the essay.

Thanks in advance for any comments and assistance.

Daz

·
Premium Member
31,492 Posts
If it started when you cleaned the carb it sounds like its the problem.

Is the O ring on the fuel screw? In right order? They slide onto the screw in this order... spring, washer, O ring.

Is the plate on the slide the right way up (hole to the bottom).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes is the answer to both of those, ive had the carb checked and its all good, when i changed the plug and plug cap, it did run fine, but when left for a bit went to start it and hey presto no bang bang.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,492 Posts
Sometimes they dont start well from warm i.e. neither hot or cold. Check the valve clearances.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont suppose you would happen to know why it would shoot flames through the air box when trying to start do you, as this would seem rather strange. I read somewhere once, although it wasnt regarding a 4 stroke bike more a car, but anyway, I read that this would happen if the timing was out and that the fuel/air mixture would be ignited just before the compression stroke. The other thing i was thinking would be the cdi, oh and I forgot to mention I ditched it in a river a couple of weeks before my problems arose, although it wasnt deep and fell on the left hand side. The engine was still running when it fell and I switched it off as soon as I dropped it, it did seem to run ok when i picked it up though.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,492 Posts
Does sound like plugcap, but he has changed it.

Tell you what, remove the cap and cut 8mm off the end of the wire, then refit the cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts