KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need a new chain, whats best to buy for green laning?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use renthal r32 o ring chain on my 530,s and get at least a years riding about 5,000 miles use out of them, and best of all you,re not constantly having to adjust the chain like you do with the cheapies. with a chain you get what you pay for really. the regina chains are just as good as they make the renthal o ring chains for renthal themselves.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
just tried a Regina - got the ZR (gold link x type ring) form abingdon off road for a good price.

Any X-ring with gold links is best for green lanes (not sure about those extra cheap ebay ones though!) gold links help to weel the rust down and the X rings are the strongest so stretch the least.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you got a regina on the bike now and want to test if it needs replacing a good tip i was taught to test the wear on any mx/ enduro chain is to get a 6mm allen key and place the allen key thickness in to the space in between the links, on a brand new chain the 6mm allen key wont fit through the gap then as the chain wears the allen key will fit between the space, when you can fit the allen key between the gap in the links fully and be able to turn the allen key right around then its time to re new the chain. i,ve always used this method to test the wear on a chain and have never had a chain snap or give me any trouble at all. hope it helps

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
good tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should have read this thread before having just bought a new chain... and rear sprog.

I had a snappage on the way home Friday... dumped the chain on the bonnet of the van behind me. Luckily he saw the funny side! Probably more than me. A two mile push home!

Gone for a renthal chain... as it's what was on there already and it's only my second chain since 2004. Mind you if I'd have done the allen key wear chack, I'd have changed it last year!!

I had taken a link out as was at end of the wear adjusters so I thought it was my not having put the split link back correctly but no, the split link was still in place and the chain had broken. Something wasn't right for a few miles as it felt weird - noisy grabby even. looking at the state of the rear sprog, I think the chain was hanging on for a few miles and it's chewed the sproket to bits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts