KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My Adv is out of warranty next month, am not going to go for the extended cover and don't fancy paying dealer rates.

Have checked the service manual and it's mainly oil and oil filter etc.

Is there anything else to be aware of?

Cheers :)

PS I bought the bike last September with only 1400 miles on it and my dealer had done an oil and filter change before I picked it up. Mileage is now at 5k.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
They must be making a fortune out off them extended warranties

·
Registered
657 Posts
I did my own 4500 and the bikes six months old...at least I know its being done properly. Not bothered by the warranty, by the time that would have run out I would have saved lodsa munneeee, farsands of paaaands

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The servicing is realtively simple.:D

4500 oil, filters and screens (although I do mine at 2000 miles). 9000 miles same plus valves and maybe air filter.

At the same time as the oil change I would check/clean/protect all electrical items at the bottom of the bike. Mainly starter solenoid and any connectors around there.

12 months I do brake fluid and clutch fluid.

My brakes get stripped and cleaned monthly.

Chain and sprockets as and when needed.

I would now add waterpump to the list of needed service items. For peace of mind I will now be changing this at every valve check. This is probably over the top but while you have the bike stripped why not do it. A good weekends work can see the whole bike done - oils, waterpump, valves - the lot

Clutch - experience has now taught me to strip the cltuch at every oil change and have a good check of things. I don't want another clutch failure in the middle of nowhere again :eek::rolleyes:

Suspension - I aint got a clue and this goes mainly neglected until it goes wrong - then somone can fix it for me

I am planning a fuel filter change at the next major service as I have seen some real dirty filters on advrider and for the 990 the pump and filters are tucked away inside a fuel tank outta site and outta mind.

I will hopefully no longer need to change air filters as I now have the Pyndon K&N Pre-Filter kit protecting the main filter from most of the dirt.

Pete

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Service went OK and oil and oil filter changed. Both oil screens checked and cleaned.

Also brake fluid changed. Everything else checked and all looked well. Whilst is was apart also removed the secondary butterflies as per FI mod. http://www.ktm950.info/how/fuel_injection/butterfly_removal.html

Didn't notice a great deal of difference so have also changed the G2 throttle cam from 300 to 400.

Is it worth doing the 15 min idle as the butterflies have been removed and the ECU may need to reset itself?

Thanks for any input. :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The 15 minute idle won't do anything - it's an old wives tale.

When the dealer uses his computer to reset the ECU - he then does the 15min idle trick to set up the parameteres again. it ONLY works if an ECU reset has been done - and unless you have the equipment you aint gonna be able to do that. At the 15 minute mark if the throttle hasn't been touched the ECU commits the various sensor parameters to memory . ............ and that's the full ECU rest and reprogram complete.

Those that think the 15 minute idle works are tricking themselves. My opinion is that the 15 minute idle makes sure you warm the engine properly before sretting off and it is this that does the trick.

Of course I could be soooooo wrong ...................... but i think not.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts