KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you buy a 2015 250 EXC-F with 5000 miles and 180 hours but has no service history?

Is it likely to need engine work soon even if it’s running ok now?

Don’t want to be buying a ticking time bomb that’s going to need more money thrown at it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Depends who you are buying it off and how much it is
If it’s the local chav in the ghetto then no I wouldn’t (not even with service history)

If it’s someone with extensive knowledge on how to service it and clearly does it himself
You can get a good idea by asking the right questions ,then probably yes

Just use your common sense

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Also depends on how it’s been used
Lots of people think that light green use is better than a few race seasons
But the green lane bike would usually had a lot less maintenance than a race bike

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the issue. It has no service history or information about how it was ridden or who owned it before.

Wanted to get an idea of KTM engine longevity and at what point to either steer clear of a used bike or expect it to need work and more money spent on it.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You'd have to factor in a top end rebuild, if you have no history and it was my bike I'd be looking at headrace/swingarm probably wheel bearing, discs front and rear will be thin, chain and sprockets. Suspension overhaul. And a good look at the clutch.But I race bikes so it'd be a full run through

·
Registered
980 Posts
That's a lot of miles for 180 hours I think it must have done a lot of road work. They are very revvy and don't move without being ragged , at least my 2013 is.
I wouldn't personally.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Average 27mph, That's pretty fast, my bike is about 16 mph, maybe did lot's of road miles, there's plenty of bikes out there, seek out another

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Depends on the road miles, wear rises on non-linear scale with revs so a bike being raced and ragged at the redline constantly will wear way faster than a bike being pootled along lanes.

Also 5,000 miles in top gear is a lot less piston up / downs than a bike doing 5000 miles in 1st - 4th gear most the time.

You see our American cousins putting 700+ hours / 20,000+ miles of 500's used for "Dual Sport" which is what we would call green laning or adventure touring, not so sure they would manage the same hours / miles of race use.

But a lot will be down to owner(s) my bike gets a real easy life as I am hopeless off road and the lanes / tracks I use don't allow for a lot of caning it through the gears, and on the road I don't spank it, but a quick whizz when I bought it saw it hit 80mph in 5th without hitting the rev limiter, so cruising at 60 in top is hardly spanking it (but my mates CRF250X is revving its tits off at 60)

I would just factor in a top end rebuild if it all looks good and then see how the price stacks up.

·
Registered
9,032 Posts
I'd throw a piston in it and check the top end/camchain etc at the same time.... If they were prone to problems there'd be lots of posts on here about it and there aren't. They will do 100's of hours if looked after and warmed up before being ridden.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all, much appreciated.

If I go look at the bike is there any telltale signs and things to look out for with regards the engine and chassis?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Ask them not to start it in the day you go,When you arrive put your hands on the engine hopefully it'll stone cold, you want it to start easily, not smoke too much and settle into an idle easily

·
Premium Member
6,798 Posts
In my experience, a 4t will do 200 ish hrs before a full rebuild is required, and that is with meticulous maintenance.

I thought that the 250 4t liked a new piston every 100hrs?

Also allow to take it apart to check/clean/grease/ change chassis bearings, c&s's and chain sliders etc

Also worth going through all the electrics/connectors.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Before buying my Husky FE 350 (Same engine as KTM) I did loads of internet trawling as I was worried about a piston every 5 minutes with trail use (lots of hours / miles)

Opinions on this are like assholes, as in everyone has one, you get people insisting a piston every 100 hours is the only way, but how do they know how long it will last if the change it before it is half worn?

Others say they have done 200, 300 or even 400 hours on a piston, some say by this time they will have wrecked the bores - but who really knows?

My thoughts are that the KTM recommendation assumes a top national level racer is spinning the bike at the redline for the entire time, far removed from my use, which in turn means I will take a lot longer to wear it out.

Not seen much evidence of them breaking either, I am sure it happens occasionally, but you see a lot of people going a long way on a piston without issue.

I will go beyond official schedule, but probably bottle out well before 300 hours, probably let it get to @200 and then have a look at the end of that season - unless it starts running badly, burning oil or giving any other reason to have a look (plus no point having a look, once there for any reason I may as well change it.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
A mate had a 400circa 2012 with about 150 hours, meticulously maintained, flipped it's piston at 50 mph on tarmac, results were obviously carnage. My mate has 400 he on his old RFS 2005, Different engine though

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Cheers all, much appreciated.

If I go look at the bike is there any telltale signs and things to look out for with regards the engine and chassis?
Take someone with you who knows their stuff...a mate has just sold his similar hours/miles but he is big on maintenance and cleaning we changed piston at 120hrs and it looked like new one valve was tight...I'm sure it will be obvious if it's a dud from looking at the owner!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take someone with you who knows their stuff...a mate has just sold his similar hours/miles but he is big on maintenance and cleaning we changed piston at 120hrs and it looked like new one valve was tight...I'm sure it will be obvious if it's a dud from looking at the owner!
Any chance it was a 2015 Six Days 250 EXCF sold to AMS as a part-ex?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts