KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help please

2004 625 SMC, lost all the coolant out the exhaust on thursday last week. I have taken the engine out of the frame and have it on the workbench.

I have taken the rocker covers and the rocker assembly off the top of the engine and released the the cam chain tensioner. How do i remove the water pump and cam? there does not appear to be enough slack in the chain to lift the chain off the can wheel.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
splitthe chain matey water pump slides off the cam end, it may be headgasket as to water out the pipe but ive repaired a few with cracked heads doing same symptoms

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As he said.. it's either a gasket or a cracked head..

Hope to be the first.. Btw the cam at the connection point with the water pump has slot, so if you turn a bit you will be able to take it apart. No need to split the chain from my point of view.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, i got the water pump off at lunchtime here at work and then the head. The damage has turned out to be a cracked head. Cracked between the exhaust and inlet valve on the water pump side of the head.

Mr Tattoo, Who have you had repair your heads in the past? have they lasted afterwards?

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, i got the water pump off at lunchtime here at work and then the head. The damage has turned out to be a cracked head. Cracked between the exhaust and inlet valve on the water pump side of the head.

Mr Tattoo, Who have you had repair your heads in the past? have they lasted afterwards?
i repair the heads myself, some work sum dont dep where there broke and how bad. i always split the cam chains takes 2 mins andgets it out the way then. is it a high flow head?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a high flow head yes. The crack is between the exhaust and inlet valves pair closest to the cam chain. Have you had any luck in repairing around that area?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Post a pic, that would be more helpful ;)

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
yeah dun a few near there as stavros said get a piccy up or drop it down to me and il take a looky for ya

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will try for the pictures tomorrow if i remember to bring the camera into work, i tried with the iphone and nothing shows up.
However while looking at the head trying to get pictures i looked down the inlet port and the crack is not just on the surface between the valve faces, it has spread about an inch up the inlet port from the valve seat insert. I can't see inside the exhaust port to see if that is cracked too due to the amount of coke build up in there

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
imo throw it in the bin dude, source a used head somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts