KTM Owners Forum banner

625 smc lacking umph!?

3K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  625dude 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

I have a question about the power on the 2007 625 smc I have just bought. I had a 1998 640 LC4 many years ago (same engine in both...as you will know) and it was a monster at 1st and 2nd gear wheelies off the throttle and great torque throughout. I have literally just picked the 625 up but even in first gear it wont wheelie off the throttle at all? 😭😭 It just pulls quite sedately in 1st and runs out of legs almost immediately?? I have checked the rear sprocket and it is a standard 40 tooth so that's going but I cant believe it is just that? I had it at 78mph on the way home with some left but is there anything else I can do...is there any restriction on them I can look at? It's got 'Fuel' end cans and spits a little blue flame when blipping the throttle (which is nice) so not sure new exhaust will make that much difference to my issue.

It definitely does not have the same punch or grunt anywhere in the range as the 640 Lc4 I had.......any ideas?

Thanks to all.

#11 ·
Yeah Cheers Pal. Ive been playing around. Took carb off and cleaned it through in my hydro sonic cleaner. It was pretty clean to start with though. Put a smaller front and larger rear sprocket on (by a couple of teeth each). Put a Jet kit in the carb with all new jets and performance needle from Taffmeisters and set up the accelerator pump and fuel screw. Still got a little fine tuning to do but it is defo better. Still not got the vicious (over the back) pick up my 640E had when I had it a few years ago but will pick up the front in first and second too at the right revs off the throttle. I've got a R&D Power bowl to put on but will wait for the spring when I can have a bit better weather to play in. I'm off over Hardknott Pass tomo on it so hopefully it will perform :)

#12 ·
Nice one man. I actually came across something today whilst continuing the build on my bike that I never realised before. Next to the cdi there is a bullet connector with 2 brown/black cables connected through. Basically if your in a country with low octane fuel you disconnect this and changes ignition curve. Disconnecting this reduces power also. You sprung to mind, maybe check this is not disconnected

#15 ·
Looking really good though bud! Love the polished swing arm and yokes. What forks you got in? It'll really look something once you got it all together. It is the twin or single end can exhaust bike. Mine is a twin and I have not seen any others in the UK. A few single ones but in general the 625 is a pretty rare bike in the UK. Lots of 640's but not many 625 SMC's.

#16 ·
Thanks man 🙂 yes went mad with polishing. Even got the full akra polished haha it was a single pipe but done a full twin pipe conversion on it, cost a fortune with all the parts would have been cheaper buying a twin pipe model haha yes I also have not seen another twin pipe 625 around at all. Good bike to hang on to I think. Forks are standard but are shrink wrapped.
Automotive lighting Silver Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

#23 ·
my bad, should be TPS.
the TPS is "Throttle Position Sensor", its a black plastic thing on the carb with 3 wires coming out that plugs into the wiring harness. some models have a white triangular plug at the end of the TPS, some have the plug directly into the TPS itself, like below image.

#26 ·
Sorry fella, yeah I did sort it. I got a jet and needle kit from Tashmaisters and set the TPS up correctly. I also bought a Power Bowl from the states but have not fitted it. Pulls proper now and lifts the front like it should in 1st and 2nd. Just waiting for the hot ball to arrive in the sky again and will be out to play some more!!! Thanks for the help and hope the build it taking shape ready for some spring time fun!

#29 ·
Sorry my mistake I didnt disconnect the TPS I just set it up the 'squirt' as per the instructions in the taftmaisters kit. I have someone coming to look at the bike on Sunday (need more room in the garage as I have a couple of other bikes and the wife is after a holiday :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:) so might have the power bowl going spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.