KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
63 in a 40 going to the Procurator Fiscal HELP!

Just been caught speeding 2 secs from my home after an 1 1/2hr ride home (mostly motorway).

Police said over limit they can issue fixed penalty so it is going to the courts to decide what the fine / points / ban should be.

Anyone else have experience of this and know likely outcome ?

No points on current liscence but road was wet and I was going downhill round a sweeping bend -in a 40 - which the police did remark on..something about could be viewed as careless or was it dangerous..?

Fairly worried about this so any sensible advice appreciated..although a can of McEwans Export has just taken some of the edge off ;-)

1050rat

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Lots of accidents happen close to home after a long journey because you relax. I recon you were lucky ;)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'd be surprised if it wasn't just an SP30 - 3 points and £60. If you have a clean licence it shouldn't affect your insurance.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think 30 over the limit is an instant ban and double the limit is Jail (maybe) i.e. 100 in a 70 = ban 90 in a 60 = ban so hopefully you should just get a fine and points. Sorry but I don't know how many but the fact it was wet won't help (they take into account conditions and how dangerous it actually was) I'd guess the fine and possibly points will be worse than the fixed panalty so 2-300 in a fine maybe?

Were you slowing down at the time or doing a steady 60? Sounds like you may be a bit lucky they are not doing you on dangerous driving from the coppers remarks, hope they don't mention that in court.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think 30 over the limit is an instant ban and double the limit is Jail (maybe) i.e. 100 in a 70 = ban 90 in a 60 = ban so hopefully you should just get a fine and points. Sorry but I don't know how many but the fact it was wet won't help (they take into account conditions and how dangerous it actually was) I'd guess the fine and possibly points will be worse than the fixed panalty so 2-300 in a fine maybe?

Were you slowing down at the time or doing a steady 60? Sounds like you may be a bit lucky they are not doing you on dangerous driving from the coppers remarks, hope they don't mention that in court.
Close. After some frantic research last night I understand that the limit beyond which police officers can issue fixed penalty notices and you go to court is something like the speed limit +45%. Therefore if you get caught doing above
58 in a 40 ie.59mph and above as I was quoted you can expect to go to court. At 70mph therefore expect to go to court over 101.5mph. So it it is not a straight +30 at 30,40,60, 70 and you automatically get a ban. I can now see why lawyers can make a living out of this as it is a bit of minefield.

Hopefully this is of use to some of you when making *ehem* progress in the future.....if only I'd known then what I know now argghh...

1050rat

·
Registered
388 Posts
Best thing is to show acceptance that you were wrong to brake the speed limit. But also empasise that your bike is well maintained and with good tyres.
Hopefully there are no turnings off the section you were speeding on or kids playgrounds etc.. so it doesnt look like you were putting others at risk.
The deed is done now so there is no point worrying too much about it. It's just about how much the fine will be (as well as your 3 points!)
good luck

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Just been caught speeding 2 secs from my home after an 1 1/2hr ride home (mostly motorway).

Police said over limit they can issue fixed penalty so it is going to the courts to decide what the fine / points / ban should be.

Anyone else have experience of this and know likely outcome ?
As has been said, most accidents happen near home because we get complacent.

If it does go to court then be contrite, accept you were in the wrong, say you've learnt your lesson and take it on the chin. Courts appreciate honesty. We all play the speeding game from time to time, and we know the risks - this time you got caught-out.

Don't go on about being a safe rider, well maintained bike, no turnings etc. because it sounds like you're making excuses for your lack of attention or you are simply arrogant - and the courts don't like arrogance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi 1050rat,

In a car situation my son-in-law was clobbered by the constabulary in Lossiemouth for speeding considerably over the limit. As I am an advanced driver Tutor I got him to sign up to a remedial course to improve his road safety awareness before his case came up. This was held up and used in Court by his solicitor as an excellent proactive step and he held onto his licence, albeit he got a serious fine. My suggestion is to get yourself onto a similar course, I wrote up his daily re-training Report on official headed paper showing fees, routes, etc, it worked. Maybe you could get the local bike trainer or IAM etc to do the same for you. Just a thought.

MikeS

·
Registered
657 Posts
63 is an actual speed. I suspect your speedo would be about 10% out so is likely to be showing 70 in a 40. Be grateful if you only get a fine.

It doesn't really do a lot for the public image of bikers, and the stiffening the tests, reducing bike sales, and eventually in the outlawing of bikes altogether in the next 15-20 years.

We (the whole biking community) all need to be diplomats. Stick baffles in and ride reasonably sensibly.

<puts away soap box and retires>

·
Registered
290 Posts
A mate of mine was recently clocked at 109mph in a seventy but being a banker and having the available funds used a solicitor and got away with a £500 fine and 6 points. So might be worth while using a solicitor but it will cost.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We all play the speeding game from time to time, and we know the risks - this time you got caught-out.
Gordo, I can't disagree with a word you said ! It has been 10 years since the last offence although this one is admiteddly a notch above the last....how often have we driven past another driver getting booked and thought "there but the grace of God go I" and then, a few weeks later (hopefully years), God gives you up in your hour of need..

... As I am an advanced driver Tutor I got him to sign up to a remedial course to improve his road safety awareness before his case came up. ...Maybe you could get the local bike trainer or IAM etc to do the same for you. Just a thought.MikeS
MikeS Sent the local rep an e-mail tonight after reading your e-mail (though had previously crossed my mind) thanks. Will attend this week if possible to see what it is like (usual preconceptions apply)

63 is an actual speed. I suspect your speedo would be about 10% out so is likely to be showing 70 in a 40. Be grateful if you only get a fine. It doesn't really do a lot for the public image of bikers, and the stiffening the tests, reducing bike sales, and eventually in the outlawing of bikes altogether in the next 15-20 years. We (the whole biking community) all need to be diplomats. Stick baffles in and ride reasonably sensibly.<puts away soap box and retires>
ET Not sure where you are coming from here ? I'm well aware of speedo inaccuracies and grateful for them in this situation as has been said I got unlucky this time. PS. I wasn't riding without baffles but OE silencers and a legal tint helmet..hope that helps destroy some of your preconceived notions about me / bikers in general..there are a few other thing I could tell you that might surprise you about what I do for a living etc but, considering this is a public forum I'll keep them private thanks
Cheers

1050rat

·
Registered
657 Posts
On the speed thing the comment was 63 in 40, I would assume would mean your speedo was reading around 70. The comment was general - I obviously don't the circumstances and can only comment in generalities. Only that peeps can get quite gob smacked for a being only 15 (or something) over the limit, but in fact there speedo would be more, so should have been obvious they were being a bit naughty.

The baffles bit was a reference to the antisocial biker brigade in general and public perception of bikers in general (ie not you...how would I know if you have baffles or not??) - though if you read the thread linky dinky where I was stopped from entering back into switzerland this year...for failing to have baffles...the egg is pretty much on my face here!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Fella...don`t sweat it....

In the last 3 years i have had 2 notices for cameras/vans saying i was over the limit in Dumfries&Galloway&Lancashire....fucked them off....never replied!!!

Then got stopped by the rozzers on the M77,never answered the the citation and never got the signed for documents....nothing still got a clean sheet...

Lie like fuck and bodyswerve as `briefs` are full of shit and so are the PF...all a money making crock of shit.

Bon chance mon ami

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the Results Are In......

Greetings

Called the court this afternoon to find out my fate following a guilty plea and letter in support which I drafted myself - 5 points and a £166 fine.

I am happy with that as I had expected 6 and a circa £400 fine. Thought the 5 points was a bit strange which I guess is something of a lifeline considering +6more = 11 which would keep me on the right side of a ban (not that I'm planning anything).

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
1050rat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts