KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Been a long time since I was active (sold my 520exc 8 years ago, and finally back on the road).

Just bought an LC4 640 SM it seems to be leaking quite a bit from the sump plug (the small nut), I tried to tighten it a bit more, but wouldn't budge.

It's recently had a Service from the previous owner, so I don't want to do an Oil Change.

Do you think I can get away with putting the bike on it's side (I have a sloped drive so I can angle it further than horizontal if need be), and do a quick plug and washer swap?
Without loosing too much oil obviously.

I've never had a bike where you have to 'bleed' the oil, and after only just getting back into bikes, it's the last thing I want to do right now.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Why not drain it, change the plug, then put the oil back in. Or change the bolt quickly and pour the oil back in.
I had this issue on a 640 engine replacement. Last owner had cross threaded the bolt to fuckery. Had to drill the hole out and put a helicoil in with loctite 638.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why not drain it, change the plug, then put the oil back in. Or change the bolt quickly and pour the oil back in.
I had this issue on a 640 engine replacement. Last owner had cross threaded the bolt to fuckery. Had to drill the hole out and put a helicoil in with loctite 638.
Yeah I can do that I guess. Just watching a video on how to service it at the minute, as this whole 'bleed' approach baffled me. Worried that if I lose all the oil, I have to bleed it again.

Oh, and I think I'm going to use some sealing tape on the thread to hopefully seal it better, in case it is threaded or just not as sealed as it should be.

First impression of the video, are good though 😍🤣

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that video has actually answered my question and it's not as complex as I thought.
When i heard the word 'bleed' I thought of the process of bleeding brakes, and it put me off.
Whack the oil in the frame, then the gearbox. Keep screw off on the frame, turn over, when you see the oil, turn off, put screw in. easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts