KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just picked up an unloved and tatty 640SM from 2003 - needs some TLC as bars, levers, wheels etc are pretty rusty and corroded and bodywork faded and scratched Has got a lovely full Akro though :D

Bike runs well and I've had the valve clearances done, put new oil and filter and a conti attack rear. Plan is to run it through the summer the tart it up over the winter - any suggestions for a man on a budget on how to get it all cleaned up, where to get body work from or can it be painted, does anyone do sticker kit?

Trawled this sight and ebay etc but bloody confused over what bits fit which bikes or stuff is just too expensive

Any help/suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
AFAIK, all the body work from 640sm from 01 to 05 will bolt straight on. Even the newer tail from 06 can be made to fit with some modifications. 01-05 625 and 660 plastics are the same, but the tank and seat are different to the 640. Prestige models came with painted plastics, so it can be done. But a result would probably depend how chalky your current parts are, and make sure you add a flex agent to the paint.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
powder coat the frame and fit 06/07 rearend (not too big of a job)
and try to replace bits that cant be cleaned or painted

all ktm dealers have the body panels

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
powder coat the frame and fit 06/07 rearend (not too big of a job)
and try to replace bits that cant be cleaned or painted

all ktm dealers have the body panels
...and radiator panels etc from a dealer are relatively cheap too. If you want something individual get some plain panels and have custom decals printed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all - pictures have got me thinking! I need to get my creative head on as you guys have clearly put a hell of alot of thought into making your bikes look the dogs danglies!

Probably the scruffiest bits on mine are the wheels - spokes and rims are rusty - is it worth cleaning them up or just trying to find some second hand?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just stripped mine to powder coat everything and thats costing me 145. Just ordered new swingarm bearings and the bearings for the linkage that attaches to the frame and a bottle of clutch fluid. 36 pound

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Probably the scruffiest bits on mine are the wheels - spokes and rims are rusty - is it worth cleaning them up or just trying to find some second hand?
The wheel rims don't rust - the spokes on the front wheel are prone to rusting. If money is tight and you are not a lazy guy - a few hours polishing with solvol autosol will give them a mirror finish that will dazzle onlookers. The spokes will clean up a bit but once the surface plating has gone - it's really time for new ones - stainless this time?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely try shining them up first. And if not happy with the result, I'd mask up and see what sort of result I could get painting the spokes. It might look crap, but I'd give it a go before sourcing replacements.

·
Registered
440 Posts
hmmm.... just caught a glance at this thread whilst quickly scanning over the new posts results, and thought it said "..pissing on a midget..."

????? what kind of mind am I living in ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts